Part 61 to Part 141

Haegon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Haegon
I started out in a Part 141 program at my local flight school. I had been told that if I move to Part 61, the lessons would go smoother due to the lack of a strict syllabus. After learning the benefits of a Part 141 program (reduced hour requirements, etc.), I would like to know if I have the option to go back to Part 141.

I am currently at 16.5 hours and am studying for my pre-solo knowledge test.

Thanks!

You won't get hour-for-hour credit for the flying you have done under Part 61. See FAR 141.77(c)(2).

Bob Gardner

Hmm, that is interesting, I will definitely read through this more when I get the time.

An interesting thought though, will receiving only partial credit qualify me for reduced hour requirements?

Assuming the 141 course requires 35 hours, you can transfer up to 8.7 (25% of 35) hours from Part 61 to Part 141. This means that if you start flying under Part 61 right now, your next 8.7 would be transferable back to Part 141, but nothing else after that would.

I am currently at 16.5 hours and am studying for my pre-solo knowledge test.

Thanks!
You are already beyond any hour reduction benefit of being 141.
Part 61 minimums are 40 hours and 141 are 35 hours, but most people take more than 40 anyway, more like 50-60.

To be ready for the private checkride at 35 hours total, you would have to have solo'ed at about 10 hours - check your syllabus, but you must solo and complete every lesson within the lesson allotted time, to be ready in 35 hours.

Ah okay.

I was more referring to the Part 141 hour reduction on your commercial certificate. According to what I have read, and please correct me if I am wrong, but if you are Part 141, the 250-hour minimum does not exist. Does someone have to have a Part 141 private for the future hour reduction to take effect?

Does someone have to have a Part 141 private for the future hour reduction to take effect?

Depends on the individual program. If you school combines ratings (e.g. one private/instrument/commercial course instead of 3 separate courses) it could be an issue.

Oh I see, so you don't have to start as Part 141 and go all of the way to the end to get all of the benefits, it is per license. Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Oh I see, so you don't have to start as Part 141 and go all of the way to the end to get all of the benefits, it is per license. Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Not exactly. Like I said, check with your school first. Different programs are different, as they are all approved by the FAA on a case-by-case basis.

Back