Part 61 Instrument to Part 61 Commercial

Just to be clear... you understand that the 50 hours of XC PIC doesn't have to be VFR or with your eyes outside, right? It can be 100% under the hood if you want it to be (with an instructor obviously).
Unless you're still a Student Pilot, you don't need an instructor along to log some simulated instrument time under the hood like that -- just another Private Pilot (or better) with the appropriate category/class ratings (i.e., ASEL) and a medical valid as Third Class (or better).

Unless you're still a Student Pilot, you don't need an instructor along to log some simulated instrument time under the hood like that -- just another Private Pilot (or better) with the appropriate category/class ratings (i.e., ASEL) and a medical valid as Third Class (or better).

Yep, left that out, but it's always an option as well, and then you can really start to bring down the cost.

Yep, left that out, but it's always an option as well, and then you can really start to bring down the cost.
That said, make sure you do it by getting a lesson with an instructor, and then practicing what you learned with a safety pilot. I've had to undo the damage done by folks trying to get ahead of the game by teaching themselves instrument flying before coming to me for the 15 hours of instrument training, and that doesn't work well. I end up spending even more time breaking them of bad habits and poor procedures before I can teach them how to do things effectively and safely than I would have spent teaching them good habits and procedures in the first place.

One really good way to do this is to buddy up with another instrument student, take your lessons together (one up front with the instructor and the other in the back observing for an hour or so, then swapping seats for another hour or so), and then trade hood time with each other practicing what you've learned before the next lesson. That can be a very efficient path to an IR for both of you.

I asked my instructor about combining the XC time with instrument time. She said that will work perfectly.

Phew! Crisis avoided.

I asked my instructor about combining the XC time with instrument time. She said that will work perfectly.
Just make sure you actually land somewhere more than 50nm away on each of those IR training flights if you want them to count for that XC PIC time. A T&G is enough (even at night, unless you also want it to count for night landing currency), but a low/missed approach isn't enough for this purpose.

Yeah I'd do a T&G and then circle back to do other training.

I see a lot of flights to Lancaster in the future...

Back