Part 61 hours

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Given part 61 schools will Only accept so many outside hours from their program. Would it be possible to have an independent CFI with their own plane train you to pass your entire PPL and then have the DPE meet you to get checked off? Or is a school required?

No school is needed. I worked as an independent CFI for several years. Now I am instructing at a Part 61 training facility, and we do not have any limit on outside hours. You can come here with all the requirements, and I will review all the maneuvers to be able to endorse you for the practical exam.

I think you are referring to a Part 141 school. Part 61 training does not come with such restrictions. And yes it can be as simple as finding an instructor, renting or owning an airplane, then when you are ready finding a DPE for a checkride. A school per se is not required.

Yes, it’s possible. May not be possible in your area due to supply of one man shows, but it is possible in some locales. B

Given part 61 schools will Only accept so many outside hours from their program
Since when? I think you’re confusing Part 61 for Part 141.
Would it be possible to have an independent CFI with their own plane train you to pass your entire PPL and then have the DPE meet you to get checked off?
Yes absolutely, that’s very doable and one of the best things about Part 61 instruction.

What advantage is there to Part 141? Other than fewer hours, of course. It looks like it costs a lot more and has little or no flexibility.

I've done all my trainings and ratings at 61 schools. I suppose some might appreciate the apparent structure and more traditional learning environment at a 141

By the way, the nice thing with aviation is everything is spelled out, for private you're going to want 61.103, 61.105, 61.107, and 61.109, that will tell you exactly what you need to earn your private

What advantage is there to Part 141? Other than fewer hours, of course. It looks like it costs a lot more and has little or no flexibility.
As I understand it, you would be training with others in a formal classroom situation on a strict schedule, and get stage checks along the way toward the next rating.

We're a Part 61 training facility, and many of our customers get the Private Pilot certificate with us and then go to Fox Valley Technical College or Minnesota State University at Mankato or elsewhere for their instrument, commercial, multi-engine, etc. ratings and endorsements. A few have come back to work here as CFIs and then "pilot services" pilots flying PC-12s and PC-24s owned by a local company. Good jobs.

We can't do high performance and complex endorsements due to lack of appropriate aircraft. We have no multi-engine trainer. The 141 school gets them what they need faster.

Last edited:
Since when? I think you’re confusing Part 61 for Part 141.

Yes absolutely, that’s very doable and one of the best things about Part 61 instruction.

Local flight school near me. Emailed me, told me if transferring in part 141 they will accept 50% of required syllabus time, if transferring in part 61, they will accept up to 25% of their required syllabus. With check rides for competency.

Local flight school near me. Emailed me, told me if transferring in part 141 they will accept 50% of required syllabus time, if transferring in part 61, they will accept up to 25% of their required syllabus. With check rides for competency.

That’s what’s allowable in 14 CFR 141 for all part 141 schools.

Specifically, 14 CFR 141.77.

(c) A student may be given credit towards the curriculum requirements of a course for previous training under the following conditions:

(1) If the student completed a proficiency test and knowledge test that was conducted by the receiving pilot school and the previous training was based on a part 141- or a part 142-approved flight training course, the credit is limited to not more than 50 percent of the flight training requirements of the curriculum.

(2) If the student completed a knowledge test that was conducted by the receiving pilot school and the previous training was based on a part 141- or a part 142-approved aeronautical knowledge training course, the credit is limited to not more than 50 percent of the aeronautical knowledge training requirements of the curriculum.

(3) If the student completed a proficiency test and knowledge test that was conducted by the receiving pilot school and the training was received from other than a part 141- or a part 142-approved flight training course, the credit is limited to not more than 25 percent of the flight training requirements of the curriculum.

(4) If the student completed a knowledge test that was conducted by the receiving pilot school and the previous training was received from other than a part 141- or a part 142-approved aeronautical knowledge training course, the credit is limited to not more than 25 percent of the aeronautical knowledge training requirements of the curriculum.

(5) Completion of previous training must be certified in the student's training record by the training provider or a management official within the training provider's organization, and must contain—

(i) The kind and amount of training provided; and

(ii) The result of each stage check and end-of-course test, if appropriate.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-H/part-141/subpart-E/section-141.77

And those are MAXIMUMS as verified by a check of some kind…

141 isn’t necessarily a “more traditional” anything. I set up a 141 based on the Sporty’s syllabus, which is classic 1 on 1. It’s just “more structured”. They can’t deviate from what they told the FAA they are gonna do.

Less hours, which is impractical for private. Quite a few less for commercial, but requires A LOT more instructed hours… probably most useful less hours for ATP. Instrument is a wash.

Not all 141 schools have every cert and rating available under 141. Gotta read the fine print.

141’s highest and best use is for the school to go to more effort to be able to accept GI Bill funds, and other scholarship/tuition assistance revenue streams. I know schools that deliberately do not certify 141.

If you are paying out of pocket, 141 may well be NOT your best bet.

You are describing a Part 141 flight school. Part 61 training does not have a required syllabus or a transfer limit.

… I set up a 141 based on the Sporty’s syllabus, which is classic 1 on 1...
One of our local pt 61 FBOs uses the Sporty’s TCO and ground schools as the basis for their PPL and Instrument programs.

Back