Part 23 rewrite

drmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
drmax
Just notified of this yesterday and have nor researched too much yet. My question(right before I spend a gob on a panel mod) would this then change the requirement of needing something like a certified garmin 650, vs say a non certified g3x touch? If so, any time frame? I wouldn't even need the 650, if so. Thx for heads up. (I presently need certified for my training)

Just notified of this yesterday and have nor researched too much yet. My question(right before I spend a gob on a panel mod) would this then change the requirement of needing something like a certified garmin 650, vs say a non certified g3x touch? If so, any time frame? I wouldn't even need the 650, if so. Thx for heads up. (I presently need certified for my training)

The rewrite allows part non certified equipment, like the Garmin G3x to be installed alongside certified gear, like a Garmin GTN 750 or 650, and a six pack of backup steam gauges.

It also involves reciprocation with EAA certification.

The rewrite allows part non certified equipment, like the Garmin G3x to be installed alongside certified gear, like a Garmin GTN 750 or 650, and a six pack of backup steam gauges.

It also involves reciprocation with EAA certification.
Ok thx. I have no concerns, especially that I'm experimental to begin with!

We don't know exactly what the regulations will be, and the FAA has recently announced it will be a couple more years before they work it all out. Suggest you not think about it for anything you're doing to your Standard certified airplane over the next two years.

I now see you're EXP-AB. In that case, it changes nothing at all for you since Part 23 doesn't apply to your plane.

Ok thx. I have no concerns, especially that I'm experimental to begin with!

Experimentals are exempt for all of it. You can install whatever you want without regard to TSO or certified equipment.

Experimentals are exempt for all of it. You can install whatever you want without regard to TSO or certified equipment.
That's not entirely true. Some TSO/certification requirements are not limited to Standard category aircraft. One example is transponders, which must be TSO'd by 91.215 and tested/certified per 91.413 -- even in E-AB aircraft.

Back