Part 23 Reform Wishlist and Suggestions

TangoEchoAlpha

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WK95
Suppose you could give suggestions directly to the policy makers. What would you suggest?

Here's what I'd suggest.

- Since the proposed new Part 23 classification of aircraft is performance and number of seats, the pilot license structure should also be changed. Namely, the licenses and ratings give access to particular levels of aircraft and performance.

For example, a LSA license would allow access to Level 1 (Simple) Aircraft up to 120 kts with other limited flying privileges. A Recreational license would grant access to the rest of Level 1 Aircraft with less restrictions. A Private pilot license would grant access to the other levels of aircraft. However, ratings will still be needed for complex, tailwheel, high performance, and the like.

This will streamline the licensing structure as well as make it very clear to pilots just what planes they can fly. Based on it, an LSA pilot could fly a Cessna 152 or a Piper Cub following tailwheel training. The idea of this is to open up more existing aircraft to lower level training. This reduces the cost of entry into aviation both for training and aircraft acquisition.

Additionally, as indicated in the proposed Part 23 rewrite, there are no weight divisions (up to the 19,000 lb weight limit for Part 23 of course). This is great to see because the 1320 lb LSA weight limit is just arbitrary and has little benefit. Imagine if Cessna 152s could be used towards LSA training. There is also no real reason that a Cessna 152 can't be used for training when a slight faster but lower weight 162 can. (In fact, various reviewers and commentators have expressed more favorable opinions for the 152's handling over the 162's.)

Dream away. Only time will tell if the policymakers will make the right decisions.

Last edited:
Yeah I got a suggestion. Implement the g-d primary non-commercial category on the rulemaking like they said they would in the june 2013 final report. No re-inventing of the wheel needed either, as it's already drawn up. But my right hand is starting to attract flies and my wishing hand's getting lonely so.....

Well, since this is a ****ing into the wind sort of thread...

I would ask what I have said dozens of times before- allow me to turn my certified airplane into an experimental, with all the exact same privileges and restrictions a person has if they buy a used E/AB plane.

The second part of this fantasy is reducing the annual operating budget of the FAA every year by 10% until they actually instate this change.

Well, since this is a ****ing into the wind sort of thread...

I would ask what I have said dozens of times before- allow me to turn my certified airplane into an experimental, with all the exact same privileges and restrictions a person has if they buy a used E/AB plane.

The second part of this fantasy is reducing the annual operating budget of the FAA every year by 10% until they actually instate this change.
I like that second part. Make 'em feel the pain.

Yeah I got a suggestion. Implement the g-d primary non-commercial category on the rulemaking like they said they would in the june 2013 final report. No re-inventing of the wheel needed either, as it's already drawn up. But my right hand is starting to attract flies and my wishing hand's getting lonely so.....
Can you link me to that particular report?

Only if they would ALLOW it to be returned to certified category if it was brought back into conformance with the TC. Now that would be useful.

Only if they would ALLOW it to be returned to certified category if it was brought back into conformance with the TC. Now that would be useful.

No it wouldn't. That's completely immaterial, if you looked at the reasons why people are clamoring for ExAB allowances in certified airplanes. Why would your buyer's remorse disallow my non-commercial interest in the use of the aircraft? It'd be no different if I painted my 15K airplane bright pink and then not had the funds or incentive to paint it back to a more resale worthy color. Holding the entire market hostage over type certificate reciprocity is holding the future over an outlier.

The fact of the matter is that there a ton of us 4-seater spam can owners that would give our left one right now to be able to nosedive right into ExAB rules and NEVER LOOK BACK!!! We're not interested nor concerned about flight instruction or resale to flight schools or freelance CFIs. There's plenty of certified clappers out there to find your commercial/flight instructor bird and make it what you want. Nevermind the notion that upgrading a certified bird with non-TSO autopilot, EFIS suites and avionics would actually bring more to the resale table than a comparable certified airplane, even in spite of the non-commercial limitations to revenue ops. That's the biggest irony to the whole tragedy of getting shut out of progress by the jackals at the FAA.

That Moses guys once said about 4-seater certifieds: Let my People go, Yo.

So, from a disruptive position, here I go. Any owner can apply to take their Pt23 aircraft to what will essentially be E-AB rules except that condition inspections apply in lieu of annual AND, for former Pt23 acft, the condition inspection is also an airworthiness inspection.

Airworthy will need a change in definition to allow owners to make changes from the TC without an STC.

Changes/upgrades with TSO complaint or new, expanded ASTM certified things will be blanket approved. Things added that aren't either of the above need a fly off or require review/approval by DAR/FAA to certify compliance with the INTENT of the rules, not the actual rules.

The new category will allow reversion, if the plane is returned to TC or TC/STC condition.

There's a lot of nuances here, but I would like it to encompass the best of all worlds by opening a new cert category based on a lot of existing rule sets.

Back