Part 141 Stage check

JordanDelaney

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
oswego12344
Does anybody know whether or not a part 141 stage check counts towards a BFR? The stage check didn't get me a new rating, so my first guess was no but I wanted to double check.

Does anybody know whether or not a part 141 stage check counts towards a BFR? The stage check didn't get me a new rating, so my first guess was no but I wanted to double check.

Nope, not like a check ride does, but talk to your stage check instructor and ask if you can use it as one as well. Thats the easiest way to find out.

At Capt. Ron said, it depends on the stage check. Even if the stage check does fulfill the requirements the BFR requires a separate signature. So ask the guy that you took the stage check with to just sigh you off for the BFR as well, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys, I called him up, he's flying for the airlines now and unfortunately it was a stage check for the IFR course so we didn't get steep turns, short/soft fields, etc in. Oh well, still have another 6 months and hopefully I'll have my instrument ticket before then.

If you get the instrument,it will count as a BFR,

I don't get a cert out of it, we do the stage check for the IFR Course but we don't get all of our certs until the end of the commercial/multi engine course :mad:

How...does that work? Do you take your instrument ride with the FAA or an appointed examiner, or do you take it with your school's chief?

How...does that work? Do you take your instrument ride with the FAA or an appointed examiner, or do you take it with your school's chief?

It's part of the 141 program...this particular stage check is taken with the chief CFI or his/her designee.

I don't get a cert out of it, we do the stage check for the IFR Course but we don't get all of our certs until the end of the commercial/multi engine course :mad:

So here's a question....what if you want to rent an aircraft and go IFR before you get your multi commercial?

Uhhh... yeah - I've never heard of that before. What a strange way to set it up. Locks in the students, I guess, since you've paid for it all, but have nothing to show for it until you finish it all...

Uhhh... yeah - I've never heard of that before. What a strange way to set it up. Locks in the students, I guess, since you've paid for it all, but have nothing to show for it until you finish it all...

Provided the student meets the Part 61 mins, it wouldn't be that hard to just go do a checkride. I've seen students of the combined part 141 programs go do that just so they can do the $100 hamburger.

Provided the student meets the Part 61 mins, it wouldn't be that hard to just go do a checkride. I've seen students of the combined part 141 programs go do that just so they can do the $100 hamburger.

I actually finished this last instrument course and then transferred back home to go to a part 61 school (not that I minded the part 141 program just didn't like being so far from home). Anyway, I need about 2 hours of simulated instrument for part61 mins and then I can take the checkride so it all worked out :)

I got my commercial multi at a 141 school. At first they refused to give it to me, said that I need to get my single first and then they will issue me both. I explained them that I had no intention of getting my single with them and made it clear that I was very ****ed off at them for not giving me my rating. So they gave it to me...

So just because they don't want to give it to you, doesn't mean you can't get it. Try to get it from them and save money on a 61 checkride.

A combined IR/ME/CP Part 141 course can be developed for completion in less time and for less money than doing them sequentially. That can be of significant advantage to a student with limited resources.

So just because they don't want to give it to you, doesn't mean you can't get it. Try to get it from them and save money on a 61 checkride.

Remember, often times, in the 141 world, people go straight into the instrument rating, the day after the private is done. They probably don't qualify for a 61 instrument rating, usually on lack of XC time.

A combined IR/ME/CP Part 141 course can be developed for completion in less time and for less money than doing them sequentially. That can be of significant advantage to a student with limited resources.

It's funny... the combined courses that the bigger schools have can be done for less time, but usually not for less money. The real advantage is that the bigger schools also help students figure out the financing side. The other emerging advantage is the reduced mins to R-ATP.

It's funny... the combined courses that the bigger schools have can be done for less time, but usually not for less money. The real advantage is that the bigger schools also help students figure out the financing side. The other emerging advantage is the reduced mins to R-ATP.

You're very right, although I will say this program although it requires less hours still costs significantly more money to complete. Additionally, the reduced R-ATP mins are nice, but at the end of the day it's worth it to have to earn those 500 extra hours if it means not having to pay back student loans for the rest of your life.

I'm considering going to a local 141 program to get my commercial rating done, that way I only need 190 hours but regardless it's still cheaper even to go the part 61 route and earn that extra 60 hours of flight time.

Thanks guys, I called him up, he's flying for the airlines now and unfortunately it was a stage check for the IFR course so we didn't get steep turns, short/soft fields, etc in.

You don't have to do that stuff for a BFR unless its the instructor's personal policy to include all of that. Or, possibly it is the 141 school's policy (I did everything 61 so I don't know).

You don't have to do that stuff for a BFR unless its the instructor's personal policy to include all of that. Or, possibly it is the 141 school's policy (I did everything 61 so I don't know).
As long as the flight lasts at least 1.0 hours, it is certainly within an instructor's prerogative to accept whatever is called for in a 141 stage check as the flight portion of a flight review. However, unless it's a final stage check for a Private, Instrument, or Commercial, it probably won't include the minimum one hour of ground training including the "review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91" called for in 14 CFR 61.56(a)(1). But either way, it will require a separate flight review endorsement in the trainee's pilot logbook.

Back