Part 141 Schools - Reviews

Thanks for your prompt response, I was also looking at Treasure Coast. I have visited both, I just really want to know, are there any gotchas? I know nothing is perfect, but are they able to deliver what they say they can do? I.e. decent instruction at an accelerated pace for a motivated student? Is there enough instructors, Planes, and DPE? Are planes maintenance decent? Etc. thanks again

Thanks for your prompt response, I was also looking at Treasure Coast. I have visited both, I just really want to know, are there any gotchas? I know nothing is perfect, but are they able to deliver what they say they can do? I.e. decent instruction at an accelerated pace for a motivated student? Is there enough instructors, Planes, and DPE? Are planes maintenance decent? Etc. thanks again

For TCFT, it’s been a few years, but I think they have the instructors, planes to go as fast as you’re able to absorb the training. You will have a primary instructor, but unless you’re picky, you can use other instructors if your instructor is not available.
Don’t know about DPEs. Ground instruction was from King videos, plus occasional group classes. They have their own maintenance shop, so planes are rarely down for long, and most are descent with GPS (not including the couple of 152s). You can easily get in 2-3 flights a day if you want.
Only caveat that applies to all schools, make sure your primary instructor doesn’t have 1400+ hours, otherwise they may leave in the middle of your training.

Tom

Which one is the cheapest.

Often the pace is mostly up to the student, most get saturated pretty quick if you really turn the fire hose on.

A greenhorn puppy mill 172 CPL is a greenhorn puppy mill 172 CPL

Which one is the cheapest.

Often the pace is mostly up to the student, most get saturated pretty quick if you really turn the fire hose on.

As I mentioned, TCFT has 152s that will save you ~$40/hour. But I don’t think you can use them for anything but PP. I know they never played the games with extra long checklists while master is on.
And the ground school is self paced, so the pace will be up to you. IIRC, they’ve had student(s) get their PP in a week. They also have foreign students (who aren’t in hurry to go back home) take years.

Tom

TCFT would be the cheapest. Looking obviously at cost, but more so a fit for my son is important. I do agree the student gets out what he puts into it. Now who can provide the instruction and equipment with the least amount of SNAFU’s is the question.

Here’s my budgeted hour figures I believe are reasonable for pilot training, tell me what you think, as I feel expecting to get most license/ratings in min times is pie in the sky unless the kid is damn good.

Private 40 dual. 20 solo
Instrument 35 dual
Commercial 20 dual
Multi comm instrument dual 30
Time build practice etc. 130
Cfi. ?
CFII?
Mei?
What do you think?
As well, TCFT works well for us as we are in Jensen Beach, close to SUA.

As well guys,

What do you think about first doing the private, then transitioning to ATP for the rest, so that he can qualify for the envoy cadet program? Even though I fly for AA, we don’t have as much influence as we once did especially with the flow through agreements now at 50% of each class.
He does have a degree in mech eng.
The reason I ask, it seems even in this pilot shortage day, it still takes a lot more than just flight time to get to the majors. So it would be like, hate to say it, but buying a slot.

As well guys,

What do you think about first doing the private, then transitioning to ATP for the rest, so that he can qualify for the envoy cadet program? Even though I fly for AA, we don’t have as much influence as we once did especially with the flow through agreements now at 50% of each class.
He does have a degree in mech eng.
The reason I ask, it seems even in this pilot shortage day, it still takes a lot more than just flight time to get to the majors. So it would be like, hate to say it, but buying a slot.

I’m not a pro, so I cant help you much, but from what I’ve heard if he is willing to work for foreign carriers, his chances of finding a job go up dramatically. This is something he should think about.

Tom

As I mentioned, TCFT has 152s that will save you ~$40/hour. But I don’t think you can use them for anything but PP. I know they never played the games with extra long checklists while master is on.
And the ground school is self paced, so the pace will be up to you. IIRC, they’ve had student(s) get their PP in a week. They also have foreign students (who aren’t in hurry to go back home) take years.

Tom

You can’t build CPL hours and do the X/Cs in them?

You can’t build CPL hours and do the X/Cs in them?

You can build all but the 10 TAA or Complex hours (theoretically, you might be able to TAA a 152, but for more than the whole plane is worth). There is nothing that says you can't do the XCs in them either, even if it would suck flying that slow for that long.

You can build all but the 10 TAA or Complex hours (theoretically, you might be able to TAA a 152, but for more than the whole plane is worth). There is nothing that says you can't do the XCs in them either, even if it would suck flying that slow for that long.

TAA?

Tom

Ah, I thought someone said you could only use them for PPL at that school.

And XC wise end of the day not that much slower than the 172, you need the hours and they cost less $$, I’d be doing everything I could in the 150/2 if I was going to go that route

Ah, I thought someone said you could only use them for PPL at that school.

And XC wise end of the day not that much slower than the 172, you need the hours and they cost less $$, I’d be doing everything I could in the 150/2 if I was going to go that route

I said that because I don’t know if they are IFR certified, or have GPS or ADSB. It’s been a while, so my info is dated. Obviously any VFR work can be done in them. But I assume you’d want IFR capability for XC and commercial rating.
They have a couple of G1000 172s if glass panel is desired.
I did my PP in 152, my XCs in 172 with GPS, an IR in a G1000 172. They have a couple of low wings as well (Archer, Arrow) plus twins of course for the multi ratings.

Tom

Last edited:
I said that because I don’t know if they are IFR certified, or have GPS or ADSB. It’s been a while, so my info is dated. Obviously any VFR work can be done in them. But I assume you’d want IFR capability for XC and commercial rating.
They have a couple of G1000 172s if glass panel is desired.
I did my PP in 152, my XCs in 172 with GPS, an IR in a G1000 172. They have a couple of low wings as well (Archer, Arrow) plus twins of course for the multi ratings.

Tom

For IFR a basic 6 pack and one navcom and one analog nav head is ideal with no moving map.

For the XCs the VFR ones who cares and depending on where the school is ADSB is likely not needed

You don't need full glass for a TAA. Apparently, G5s, GPS with moving map and an autopilot get you TAA. Hence all the 172s getting GFC500s

Hey! Thanks for all the insight. I’m thinking he do TCFT part 141 option. They use computer based Cessna program. Anyone have past experience with this CBI program?

Take a look here. I paid for my own education, and was very much a budget minded flier, but also wanted a good education. Between a good balance of hard work, and good luck, I have been blessed to work for Delta Airlines for just over 25 years. I fly an A-320/321 for them, and am approaching retirement. IMHO, it’s not so much where you go to get your training as it is developing into the kind of person others will want to share the cockpit with, and having those qualities become apparent in an interview as who you naturally are. Good luck.
https://www.hsu.edu/pages/academics/school-of-business/programs/aviation/

Back