Parkinson's law and flying

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
-Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion".

As work expands to fill the time available, I have noticed that my landings tend to consume the runway space available.

Today, myself and my daughter went to W95 at Ocracoke, NC for lunch. Runway 24 at W95 is 3000' x 60'. Room enough for my PA-28-161. Used up ~1500'. Turned around midway, back taxied to the tie down area. Didn't stay exactly on the centerline but nothing notably bad.

Following lunch at Howard's Pub, we returned to New Bern (KEWN). Runway 22 is 6000' x 150'. I had to brake firmly to make the turn at the intersection at 3000'. This not the first time I have noticed this. I have landed at smaller strips than W95 without undue drama. But put a mile of wide asphalt in front of me and I embarrass myself. :dunno: Anyone else notice this?

-Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion".

As work expands to fill the time available, I have noticed that my landings tend to consume the runway space available.

Today, myself and my daughter went to W95 at Ocracoke, NC for lunch. Runway 24 at W95 is 3000' x 60'. Room enough for my PA-28-161. Used up ~1500'. Turned around midway, back taxied to the tie down area. Didn't stay exactly on the centerline but nothing notably bad.

Following lunch at Howard's Pub, we returned to New Bern (KEWN). Runway 22 is 6000' x 150'. I had to brake firmly to make the turn at the intersection at 3000'. This not the first time I have noticed this. I have landed at smaller strips than W95 without undue drama. But put a mile of wide asphalt in front of me and I embarrass myself. :dunno: Anyone else notice this?

Yup,,,

Depth perception.....

On all your landing, pick a spot and try to hit it each time...

Practice makes perfect....:):)

And don't stare at that spot all the way to touchdown! at 10' start looking at the far end of the runway. You should already be power off or nearly so, so if your speed is good you won't float down there anyhow. Staring at the spot is a good recipe for rough landings.

Ask me how I know!!!!

Attachments

• landing.gif
    landing.gif
    14 KB · Views: 26
We stopped at Okracoke on a whim while heading back south from Nag's Head. What a great spot. Fun runway and a feeling of being away. Have definately tried to plan a return. We were in a Lance that we had co-owned for a couple months. As a newby to it, I was a little worried about the 3000 ft strip. Wasn't the prettiest landing, but wife and kids didn't notice. I think they were distracted by looking at the beach next door. I certainly feel the landing would be better now. Hmmm, wonder what is going on up there next wkend...

We stopped at Okracoke on a whim while heading back south from Nag's Head. What a great spot. Fun runway and a feeling of being away. Have definately tried to plan a return. We were in a Lance that we had co-owned for a couple months. As a newby to it, I was a little worried about the 3000 ft strip. Wasn't the prettiest landing, but wife and kids didn't notice. I think they were distracted by looking at the beach next door. I certainly feel the landing would be better now. Hmmm, wonder what is going on up there next wkend...

I you go on a weekend, Try and get before 1100, unless you don't mind parking on the grass. Also, be careful if you go swimming. It is a really nice beach, but there can be a rip current. They lose a couple unwary vacationers each year. Also, I circle for altitude before I cross the inlet.

For the life of me I can't get a good landing in this pa-28-161 I've been flying. All the other planes I fly (all pipers) I can land well but I always balloon in this dang warrior.

For the life of me I can't get a good landing in this pa-28-161 I've been flying. All the other planes I fly (all pipers) I can land well but I always balloon in this dang warrior.

Do the others have the Hershey bar wing? Just wondering.

edit: D'oh, came in 2nd again!

Yes, Cherokee, archer, arrow all have the hersh while the warrior is tapered.

That's probably the difference. Almost all my Piper hours are in the tapered wing, when I hop into a straight wing it does have a different feel.

I you go on a weekend, Try and get before 1100, unless you don't mind parking on the grass. Also, be careful if you go swimming. It is a really nice beach, but there can be a rip current. They lose a couple unwary vacationers each year. Also, I circle for altitude before I cross the inlet.

Fly along the beach before you land, the rips are very visible. Google will show you what they look like. If you get in one, swim parallel to the shire, most rips are pretty narrow and you'll get out of it soon. But there can be several, thus the overflight before landing.

Ocracoke is a cool place! Used to ride the ferry out, camp and fish.

Definately no problem with getting down with my Hershey bar wing. Can hit short final wheels down at 2000, 90 kts, pull fuel, full flaps and will have to add throttle back to make the runway. Will eat up the runway if you come in fast though (unless you like to replace brake pads frequently).

Keep in mind that for twins, coming in faster and using more runway isn't a bad thing. I can come in at 85 mph, usually come in at 120 (blue line, Vyse) if I can.

I've noticed it to. I think it's a matter of concentration as much as visual perception. When I concentrate on putting it on the numbers I usually do. my plane was hangared at an airport with a 6600' runway. Miss the first turn off and you could be in for some real taxi adventures. It was a busy controlled airport wit intersecting runways. I learned to treat it as a 1500' runway.

Mr

Yup,,,

Depth perception.....

On all your landing, pick a spot and try to hit it each time...

Practice makes perfect....:):)

actually, perfect practice makes perfect...or so my CFI used to say.

Great observation. I think I've done that myself on occasion. At least it's better than landing regularly on a long runway, and then landing long on an unfamiliar short runway.

Back