Parachuting Safety Issues

Always someone wanting to regulate something into "100% safe".
Should probably put an end to those motorcycles.
Need more regulation of wingsuit flying.
Rock climbing should really have a government monitor at each event to approve the climb.
Small planes; they've made progress but not good enough - banned.

Well that's quite the hit piece.

I have lived near a very busy skydiving center for 20 years. Can't recall the last time I heard about a fatality. The Lodi center sounds sketchy. The paper did their local readers a service reporting on it.

less than 1 a year. I'm sure a minuscule number relative to the non-fatal jumps. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

I've got about a dozen jumps there in the distant past including a few With Bill. Lodi has been one of the busiest drop zone over the years, though it has slowed down a lot in recent times. Yes, they are a bit of a cowboy operation, they are not USPA members and will let people set their own limits so there is more drama than the vast majority of operations. But 28 over nearly 40 years needs to be kept in perspective.

Some general statistics here.

Need a deep dive into the cause of each accident.
And an analysis of how the facility was at fault.
Is the facility responsible for packing the chutes?
Once a person leaves the airplane, can anyone influence what they do?

year old NIH paper on Skydiving Risk:

I've got about a dozen jumps there in the distant past including a few With Bill. Lodi has been one of the busiest drop zone over the years, though it has slowed down a lot in recent times. Yes, they are a bit of a cowboy operation, they are not USPA members and will let people set their own limits so there is more drama than the vast majority of operations. But 28 over nearly 40 years needs to be kept in perspective.

Some general statistics here.
If data were available on the number of jumps at Lodi over those 40 years, then it would be possible to gain perspective by comparing their fatality rate to the statistics on that USPA page.

Fora 0.27 rate, if I did the math right, 28 fatalities would require 10,370,000 jumps over about 40 years. Or about 250,000 jumps per year.

Hmm, that is 700 jumps a day, EVERY day.

I would say their fatality rate is a bit higher than the USPA average.

But does that mean there is a problem with the facility?
Or that it is closer to more hotdog-type jumpers?
Need to review each fatal.

Back