Parachute vs. panel?

jhoyt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Looking at buying into partnership or alone, generic Cessna 172 /182 circa 1965-75. Assuming lower engine time, decent interior. I'm thinking if I've got 15-20k to spend on upgrades, would it make more sense to get a chute vs. panel upgrade? Love the panel upgrades but moderate increase in safety. Any chute folks out there? (Esp those w Cessna chutes). Compare chute "value" vs. panel value on resale?

Buy a plane with 90% of the panel you want already installed. I'd sooner overhaul a higher time engine than do a major panel job.

As for the parachute, just buy yourself a rig and learn how to jump if you're that worried. Personally I really don't see the need.

Saftey wise I'd take a backcountry plane over a chute.

As James said, buy the airplane with most of the panel you want. Let someone else pay for it and take the massive depreciation hit.

Plenty of airplanes out there with nice panels. You'll pay a little more, but you'll pay a lot more if you put that panel in yourself.

No opinion on the chute really. I think they are a very good piece of safety equipment. I myself wouldn't install one in an aircraft, JMO.

One of those items would make me feel a lot better about night flying and operating out of an airport with few options after the runway ends; the other would not.

The weight and space penalty of a BRS in a Cessna is pretty huge. You lose a huge portion of your baggage area and a good chunk of useful load. And you have to spend money to repack the chute every so often. Cessnas already touch down slow enough that you'll most likely be safe in the event of a controlled crash landing.

One of those items would make me feel a lot better about night flying and operating out of an airport with few options after the runway ends; the other would not.

Tundra tires?

maxresdefault.jpg

Tundra tires?

maxresdefault.jpg
Mmm, big rocks and long props.

I'd go with a better panel. More information to hopefully help you not need a parachute. Don't fly into ice, pay attention to your engine, do good maintenance. A panel will be more enjoyable in the end.

Get a bail-out rig of you are too concerned. Then tell your passengers, "tough luck."

Where is 6PC anyway? This thread was posted 13 hours ago.

The weight and space penalty of a BRS in a Cessna is pretty huge. You lose a huge portion of your baggage area and a good chunk of useful load. And you have to spend money to repack the chute every so often. Cessnas already touch down slow enough that you'll most likely be safe in the event of a controlled crash landing.

Depending on your model of 182, the BRS system can come with a 150lb gross weight STC increase (which is available with or without the BRS system). You actually gain 60lbs of useful load if you add that with the BRS system install. Space wise you are still hosed.

I'd go with a better panel. More information to hopefully help you not need a parachute. Don't fly into ice, pay attention to your engine, do good maintenance. A panel will be more enjoyable in the end.

Get a bail-out rig of you are too concerned. Then tell your passengers, "tough luck."

Where is 6PC anyway? This thread was posted 13 hours ago.

There was this poll ;)

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...gine-quit-pick-a-airframe.86346/#post-1901715

Where is 6PC anyway? This thread

was posted 13 hours ago.
SOX audit... :( I'd choose the chute but I'm not really into fancy panels. I prefer simplicity. Steam gauges are perfect for the VFR flying I do.

I was surprised to find that some models of Cessna actually get an increased useful load with the BRS. Apparently the BRS STC for the P & Q models upgrades the useful load by 70ish pounds.

If you fly IFR, I think a good panel probably will add more utility and safety. Otherwise, whichever feels best to you. As someone said, a forced landing in a 172/182 is at low speed/energy. You can put one in the average driveway and tell the story later. But follow your gut - and I hope you find a good one!

I was surprised to find that some models of Cessna actually get an increased useful load with the BRS. Apparently the BRS STC for the P & Q models upgrades the useful load by 70ish pounds.

That Fresh Pick STC for an extra 150lbs gross is available for any P & Q for $750 regardless of the BRS...they just have an agreement to bundle it with the BRS system now as an added option.

Importance of 'chute depends on where you live and fly. So Cal where I fly is mostly urban, mountains and water; none are great places to touch down with an engine out, even at Cessna speeds. I considered it a no brainer...a must have.

Researching 172' and 182's, I became concerned about the loss of useful load and space with BRS. The big surprise: Cirrus SR22's are very reasonably priced when you consider all the avoinics. Try this: Compare a really nicely upgraded 182 with a great panel with a 2005ish SR22. I was shocked by how much SR22 my money can buy. When I purchased 2 years ago, it was less money for a faster, much more comfortable plane that now has one of the lowest fatality rates in the GA insdustry. The economics could have changed, but it's worth investigating if you need a 'chute.

So I'd say...get the 'chute if the terrain where you fly warrants (lack of responsible off-airport landing options)...and add Cirrus to your shopping comparison list.

Spend the money in a good panel that you will get benefit from on every flight. A good WAAS GPS pays dividends on every flight.

Back