Parachute value

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I read somewhere (maybe the Acro Exploder?) how to calculate the monetary value of a parachute based on the age of the parachute. I can't remember what that formula is. Does anyone know? Would it be worth more if it was recently repacked?

I read somewhere (maybe the Acro Exploder?) how to calculate the monetary value of a parachute based on the age of the parachute. I can't remember what that formula is. Does anyone know? Would it be worth more if it was recently repacked?

Can't remember where I saw it, but the simple rule that I read was to just depreciate it by 1/20th for each year old. I think the source I read said they have a 20yr life, so that's where they came up with that.

edit: I think it was an article in Soaring magazine. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Last edited:
yea the 1/20 rule is the mantra of allen silver who is a strong believer in replacement every 20 years. Is it a backpack or seatpack chute diana? If you decide to sell it let me know there are always glider pilots looking for a good chute.

Whatever you do, don't advertise it as "Never been opened! Only used once!"

How soon do you need it? Right now?:hairraise:

That might change its monetary value.

I am told by those who do this regularly they are valued as 'priceless' if you are falling towards earth at high speed.

yea the 1/20 rule is the mantra of allen silver who is a strong believer in replacement every 20 years. Is it a backpack or seatpack chute diana? If you decide to sell it let me know there are always glider pilots looking for a good chute.
Thanks, Tony. :)

I have a National seatpack and a Softie backpack.

Whatever you do, don't advertise it as "Never been opened! Only used once!"

How soon do you need it? Right now?:hairraise:

That might change its monetary value.

I am told by those who do this regularly they are valued as 'priceless' if you are falling towards earth at high speed.

Is the plane on fire? No runway in sight? then it's priceless.....

You guys are funny. :D Yep, the value depends on the circumstances. :D

In my life, that formula is usually something like ...

if I'm buying, it's PV = budget * 20%
if I'm selling, it's PV = asking price - 50%

The only brand I know of that has a life limit of 20 years is Softie. I've got one of those that I bought for about a 20% discount last year. It was new old stock - three years old - so I've only got 17 years to go ;).

If you'd like to get an idea of asking prices for used chutes, check out the parachute shop. He sold my National back pack chute for me last year. It was five years old and in perfect condition but it did need a repack. I paid around 1500.00 for it new which I think was a good price at the time and he sold it for 1100.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/Used_pilot_parachutes_aerobat.htm

I just bought a used strong chute off of someone on this site for around $850 including shipping and a fresh repack. I don't think $100 per year makes any sense at all except for the Softies since at year 20 they are worthless. Nationals and Strongs don't turn into pumpkins so as long as they can be legally repacked, they have value.

Dave

If you have a Softie you can check the value with Dan Taraseviich at Paraphernalia regarding value. If the chute has been kept dry, and a rigger has a close look, can't see why it shouldn't last longer than 20 years. How many people replace their seat belts and harness on a timed basis, even though they are sitting in the sun exposed to UV light, sweat, etc?

If you have a Softie you can check the value with Dan Taraseviich at Paraphernalia regarding value. If the chute has been kept dry, and a rigger has a close look, can't see why it shouldn't last longer than 20 years. How many people replace their seat belts and harness on a timed basis, even though they are sitting in the sun exposed to UV light, sweat, etc?

Of course it will last more than 20 years if properly cared for. Apparently, Softie has stated that their chutes are not to be used if more than 20 years old.

Paraphernalia makes the containers and assembles the rig, not the chutes themselves. Softie is a model of a Paraphernalia chute, not the company itself. I currently have two of them.

Unless there is some written life limit on the rigs, which I have never seen, I would go with the recommendations of my rigger based upon his inspection. Last year he replaced the rubber bands, but the rest looked good. I always pop the chutes for each repack and go over the lines and rigging with him prior to repack.

If the manufacturer writes a life limit into the operating restrictions then the parachute is not legally airworthy past that time. It is a crock, but such is life.

Paraphernalia makes the containers and assembles the rig, not the chutes themselves. Softie is a model of a Paraphernalia chute, not the company itself. I currently have two of them.

Unless there is some written life limit on the rigs, which I have never seen, I would go with the recommendations of my rigger based upon his inspection. Last year he replaced the rubber bands, but the rest looked good. I always pop the chutes for each repack and go over the lines and rigging with him prior to repack.

It's in the Softie owner's manual that is issued with the chute - paragraph 1.4.

Here's a link to the Softie life limit posted on the parachute shop's website.

http://parachuteshop.com/life_limits_parachutes.htm

Attachments

• softie service life.JPG
    softie service life.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 6

If you'd like to get an idea of asking prices for used chutes, check out the parachute shop. He sold my National back pack chute for me last year. It was five years old and in perfect condition but it did need a repack. I paid around 1500.00 for it new which I think was a good price at the time and he sold it for 1100.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/Used_pilot_parachutes_aerobat.htm

I just bought a used strong chute off of someone on this site for around $850 including shipping and a fresh repack.
Thanks for the link. :)

I just dug out my repack info and found out that the rigger dated the last repack on my Softie as being 2009 instead of 2010. I called him and he said to mark out the date and initial his name. The other parachute that he repacked, the National had the right date as being 2010. I checked the date on the National when I picked it up, but not the other one. Guess I learned my lesson and should check both cards before I write the check.

I suggest that every pilot who wears a parachute take at least a few jumps. Familiarity with the concept and practice will make you feel more comfortable with the idea of leaving the cockpit.

Besides which....many may decide that freefall and flying one's body and the canopy are a lot of fun (if that happens it means you will need to split your funding between flying and jumping).

have fun ......

i have been told that a steerable skydiving chute is a lot different than a round emergency chute. for example you don't "flare" an emergency chute.

as far as getting out of the cockpit it is recommended to practice egress and mentally go through the procedure for bailout before each flight. i know i do. canopy, belts, butt.

other than that i count on the "I'm brave, but I'm careful" and "Count to 10, pull string" method illustrated by my friend Goofy.

Thanks, Steve.

Seems like the $20/year of useful life is not the number I recall when reading about it, though. Seems like it was maybe $100?

It's not $20 a year. It's 1/20th of the total value for each year.

If the parachute cost $2000 then divide that by 20 and it'd be worth $100 * years remaining.

If the parachute cost $1000 then divide that by 20 and it'd be worth $50 * years remaining.

It's not $20 a year. It's 1/20th of the total value for each year.

If the parachute cost $2000 then divide that by 20 and it'd be worth $100 * years remaining.

If the parachute cost $1000 then divide that by 20 and it'd be worth $50 * years remaining.

Yeah, that is why I wondered about the information from that article:

2. Estimating worth: Many experts I consulted say a parachute should be seen as having a total 20 year useful life. Also, a good used parachute is estimated to be worth about $20 per years of remaining useful life.
* As an example, in 2007, you have a reputable friend who is selling his parachute, manufactured in 2001. Without a pre-buy inspection by a master rigger, you could reasonably offer your friend $280, which is $20 times the 14 years of remaining useful life. Any more money spent might be overpaying.

Well the real question is why are you selling your chutes???

I suggest that every pilot who wears a parachute take at least a few jumps. Familiarity with the concept and practice will make you feel more comfortable with the idea of leaving the cockpit.
I'd add the caveat that you have another pilot in the cockpit when you jump (and that they intend to stay in the cockpit, lest you find yourself facing a charge of insurance fraud! :)

And Diana, I'm really sorry to read that you're even thinking of selling your chutes and/or farm! :sad:

oo, be careful with that, Diana.
Yeah, that just didn't feel like the right thing to do. He said he has the correct date on his rigger log, but, still..... He lives in Tulsa and won't be back this way for awhile.

Well the real question is why are you selling your chutes???

And Diana, I'm really sorry to read that you're even thinking of selling your chutes and/or farm! :sad:

Change is in the air. :) This place needs someone more energetic to maintain it. We are trying to simplify, prioritize, downsize, and economize.

I only used the chutes a few times last year. It costs $120, twice a year to keep them legal. I would rather use that money for fuel to fly the Citabria. I'm going to sell all my aerobatic books when I get around to it.

Diana,

The only thing constant is change, I hope you enjoy the next phase of you life as much as you seemed to enjoy the current one.

Watch Barnstormers and Ebay for parachutes for sale for real market prices, none of them seem to follow the formulas seen above.

20 year old parachutes (other than Softies) in good condition have value.

Diana,

The only thing constant is change, I hope you enjoy the next phase of you life as much as you seemed to enjoy the current one.

Watch Barnstormers and Ebay for parachutes for sale for real market prices, none of them seem to follow the formulas seen above.

20 year old parachutes (other than Softies) in good condition have value.
Ron, thanks for your input...I appreciate it. :)

I only used the chutes a few times last year. It costs $120, twice a year to keep them legal. I would rather use that money for fuel to fly the Citabria. I'm going to sell all my aerobatic books when I get around to it.

Do you have other parachutes or does this mean your acro flying days are ending also?

I just knew all the snakes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc. were going to run you out of paradise! Do you have any feel for where you guys want to go?

Do you have other parachutes or does this mean your acro flying days are ending also?
Stacey, those are the only ones that I have. Although, I could still legally do aerobatics by myself without a parachute.

I just knew all the snakes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc. were going to run you out of paradise! Do you have any feel for where you guys want to go?
We've been talking about it a lot the past few weeks. Probably won't go north...it's colder up there. :D I just picked up our thank-you notes from the kids we took flying last month and many of them referenced reading all the books next year so they could go flying with us again, or they said they want their younger siblings to be able to go flying with us in the years to come. Stuff like that makes us think of just staying here and scaling down. It's up in the air at this point. :)

Sometimes, change can be heatlhy. Like becoming a full time AME. I'm now an airport rat.

But I'm bummed that you guys are thinking of leaving. Does that also include changing in the Bluberry Citabria for a Skyhawk....and Diana becoming a CFI?

Sometimes, change can be heatlhy. Like becoming a full time AME. I'm now an airport rat.
:)

But I'm bummed that you guys are thinking of leaving. Does that also include changing in the Bluberry Citabria for a Skyhawk....and Diana becoming a CFI?
Tom has been trying to get me to get my CFI for years. I just don't have the temperament to be a CFI...I worry too much. :redface:

We've decided to stay here for at least one more year, try to sell the south half of the farm, and keep the Citabria for another year. Still don't know how to cut down on all the work around here, though. We're not having any more big fly-ins, but it might be nice to have a few smaller gatherings from time to time. :)

Tom has a lot of students right now, and has three more people that are ready to start taking lessons. It's hard for him to stop at this point.

Are you planning to read the chapter on hammerheads before you sell them?:rofl:

I'm going to sell all my aerobatic books when I get around to it.

If I didn't know so much about mowing and other farm/ranch demands, it would be tempting to tell you to stay there because it's such a neat place and we all like it so much. OTOH, I can remember lots of rattlesnakes around the house and buildings on my ranch, but not a single one since we moved to town.

Are you planning to read the chapter on hammerheads before you sell them?:rofl:
Wayne, I know I can always count on you to make me smile. :D

If I didn't know so much about mowing and other farm/ranch demands, it would be tempting to tell you to stay there because it's such a neat place and we all like it so much.
Come back up and see us again sometime. :) I promise I won't make you mow (unless you stay longer than two days). :D

OTOH, I can remember lots of rattlesnakes around the house and buildings on my ranch, but not a single one since we moved to town.
Speaking of snakes, one of the cats brought in a snake again...third one this year. Came home yesterday and found our gift from the cat on the floor of the guest room. Fortunately, it was dead. I don't know why they do that. :dunno:

Maybe Tom could swap out mowing and farm work for lessons.

Maybe Tom could swap out mowing and farm work for lessons.

Now that right there is a GREAT idea! Diana, how long have you been flying those kids around? Are any of them old enough for flying lessons? That might be your solution right there...

Whatever happens, I wish you much happiness. :)

Back