Parachute jumper collided with truck on highway

The news said 21 jumpers have died at that jump school since late 1990’s.

Without clicking, is this Lodi?

Just clicked, yup. Everyone knows what’s up, and they are also a VERY busy dropzone, I don’t see the issue.

Does the news make mention of every fat person who died after eating McDonald’s?

BSBD

Last edited:
I don’t follow skydiving statistics, but I’ve lived relatively close to a skydiving school for at least 12 years and I don’t recall hearing about any fatalities. 21 fatal jumps in roughly a decade seems a bit on the high side - no?

I have no knowledge of this place...but I did see the news broadcast...maybe more fake news ?

I don’t follow skydiving statistics, but I’ve lived relatively close to a skydiving school for at least 12 years and I don’t recall hearing about any fatalities. 21 fatal jumps in roughly a decade seems a bit on the high side - no?

Lodi is a great place, inexpensive jump tickets, they turn loads quick, king air, van, twotters, good sized grass landing area.
However they are not a day care, they expect you to be responsible for yourself, great place to jump if you have a good head on your shoulders and a swivel.

If it is, as mentioned, a heavily used drop zone, perhaps with multiple schools and clubs, then perhaps not, given the inherent danger of jumping out of a perfectly good plane.

Something has to be done, they need more regulations and restrictions.
More licensing, more oversight, more badges.
Maybe an FAA-approved instructor watching every jump; one in every plane.
We must not let people partake of fun activities without maximum oppression, these people have no idea of the dangers, and the government must show them, or stop it altogether.
Oh. Wait.

I was always under the impression that the fatality rate for skydiving is like ultra low.
.0007% chance of death per jump. That’s 21 deaths for every 3 million jumps. If Lodi has had 3 million jumpers since the 1990s, then they are average.

I was always under the impression that the fatality rate for skydiving is like ultra low.
It's pretty good, but not as good as not jumping. But it may be better than staying in the jump plane, depending on how you measure things.

If it is, as mentioned, a heavily used drop zone, perhaps with multiple schools and clubs, then perhaps not, given the inherent danger of jumping out of a perfectly good plane.

No such thing as a perfectly good plane.

The information is usual press bullpoop.

The jumper made a downwind run over the freeway and didn't turn back before she could make it back to the landing zone. This was a jumper who was reasonably well trained (155 jumps). It's not the drop zone's job to supervise her. While she wasn't based in Lodi, she'd made many prior jumps there. Just one of those sad misjudgments.

Most of the incidents at dropzones aren't drop zone related anymore than you can blame a flight school when a student, once licensed, goes out and does something stupid at the same airport.

The two substantive issues in their past were the FAA's enforcement action involving some parts in their Otter that were over life limits. The other was an instructor who forged his paperwork. It's unclear whether the dropzone should have recognized the forgery. I believe the FAA didn't hold them responsible.

This all came to light after a fatality with that instructor and his student (tandem jump). The FBI and the DOT served a search warrant on the facility last year but it seems nothing has come of that. I suspect they were fishing for indications that the zone knew about the instructor issue (the relatives of the person who died have been extremely vocal in alleging improprieties that have never been proven).

You have to realize that this is a busy place. Just saying there's been 20 fatalities there is like 200 deaths a year on I-95.

Do jumpers customarily carry insurance for damage to others property the way airplane renters can attain non owner policies? Or is it always a case of personal subrogation on the part of the vehicle owner's insurance against the personal estate of the jumper?

No, the vehicle owner already got his pound of flesh.

That jump business is located extremely close to the freeway where the truck was hit.

IMG_4772.jpg

I would be afraid of landing in the traffic even if the chute did open properly.

Yeah, so's the whole airport. Had a clown lose his landing gear on a truck coming into 26 a few years ago because he hadn't fully considered why there's a substantial displaced threshold on that runway.

Not a good thing to be flying your parachute pattern on the other side of the highway. Most people seem to turn base right around even with the end of 30.

That jump business is located extremely close to the freeway where the truck was hit.

View attachment 78321

I would be afraid of landing in the traffic even if the chute did open properly.

Not a significant risk, when I jumped there that wasn’t really even a concern that crossed my mind.

Back