Parachute choices

Grumman79L

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
I just bought a Hiperbipe with which to mix the air in Northwestern Louisiana...(which sorely needs it).
I'm looking for a thin back/butt type pack due to the non-removable seat cushions.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

If you knew the way I drive you'd know why my wife doesn't worry about me dying in an air-e-o-plane...:rolleyes: But is WAS a touching semtinent...:goofy:

That's one of the reasons I like the HB so much...It's built like a tank in the cockpit area and is still pretty darn comfortable. Besides; I like different stuff...

Chris

Grumman79L said:
I just bought a Hiperbipe
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. :)

I've never heard of a Hiperbipe. What is it? Do you have a photo you could post?

Grumman79L said:
I'm looking for a thin back/butt type pack due to the non-removable seat cushions.
Are you going to be able to make it to OSH? It sure would be a great time to try on parachutes. I did that two years ago; went around to the different vendors and tried them all on. Got a discount on a new one by buying it at OSH.

Hi Diana;
Thanks for the welcome!
It's a 2-place side-by-side Experimental biplane, 200HP, +6/-4g that has a roll rate somewhere betwixt a Pitts and a Decathlon (270*+). Inverted Fuel and Oil. The type holds the Guiness Book of World Records for the most outside loops (due to I suppose, to the 13 gallon acro fuel tank...)
It is also good for Cross Countries @ 150K with a REAL baggage area...wife insisted on the side-by-side layout (fine by me; when she's behind me I get nervous).
I haven't flown acro much since flying with my dad in WWII Heavy Metal in the '70's so I'm going to go slow and have fun...

I wish I could make it to OSH but Summer is my busy time. :hairraise:
Seeing them and trying 'em on would cretainly help...

Thanks again;
Chris

Attachments

• Triple 7 Hot Tamale.jpg
    Triple 7 Hot Tamale.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 33
Grumman79L said:
It's a 2-place side-by-side Experimental biplane, 200HP, +6/-4g that has a roll rate somewhere betwixt a Pitts and a Decathlon (270*+). Inverted Fuel and Oil. The type holds the Guiness Book of World Records for the most outside loops (due to I suppose, to the 13 gallon acro fuel tank...)
It is also good for Cross Countries @ 150K with a REAL baggage area...
Wow, it sounds like a great airplane! Did you get to ride along on a test flight for some acro in it? It's always been a problem for folks trying to find a good acro airplane that will also serve as a good cross-country airplane.

Grumman79L said:
wife insisted on the side-by-side layout (fine by me; when she's behind me I get nervous).
Funny you should mention that. The one and only time my ex-husband took me hunting with him, he seemed to get very nervous with my walking behind him with a gun (and rightly so). :)

Anyway, that's great that your wife is interested in the plane and wanting to fly with you.

Grumman79L said:
I haven't flown acro much since flying with my dad in WWII Heavy Metal in the '70's so I'm going to go slow and have fun...
Will you have someone nearby who will be able to teach you acro in your Hiperbipe? I had a hard time finding someone who knew how to teach acro in a Citabria (and do it well).

Didn't JoAnn Osterud set a record for consecutive outside loops in a HiperBipe [208]?

And one for continuous inverted flight [4 hours, 38 minutes and ten seconds].

I met her at an airshow in Hammond, LA way back when.

btw, the plane in your pic looks suspicously like the one on http://www.skiesthelimitaviation.com/Home/

:)

p.s. Is the Royal Albanian Team in Exile still lurking around DTN?

Grumman79L said:
I just bought a Hiperbipe with which to mix the air in Northwestern Louisiana...(which sorely needs it).
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I've always liked my Strong Para-Cushion:

http://www.strongparachutes.com/Pages/paracushion_303.htm

And speaking as both a jumper and parachute rigger, that's a parachute that I have real confidence in.

Dan

IIRC any chair type has a more frequent repack requirement.

Diana,
I don't have any time in a Hiperbipe but have seen several fly at airshows and talked to they're pilots. I just looks like a fun and interesting ride. There is one in Shreveport being re-built at this time by a friend and I have access to it so I get to see how everything is designed...and I really like the way it's put together!
As to having access to acro pilots for training I'm lucky enough to have half-a-dozen guys (2 are CFI's) that are willing to help get me up to speed! And BTW; thanks for the links.

Steve,
Yep; that's the lady...
The plane on Sky's the Limit's (who bought the Rights to the HB a few years ago and haven't don't Diddly-Squat with it since) site is actually 774HT, sister ship to the one I'm buying. 777 has the advantage of being built by Mark Sorrell who did all the welding on it...from those I've talked to there isn't a better welder anywhere in the planet so I'm happy. She also has had the wings re-built in 2002.
Alas; the Royal Albainian Team in exile is no more...Cpl. Oya-Webad-Webad and Cpl. Ifit-ItchisScratchet were two of the best airshow entertainers I've ever seen and still come up in conversation quite often around DTN...God they were GOOD!:goofy:

Dan,
Thanks for the link. The Wedge 311 looks like something I would need.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Chris

Back