Paperwork for elevator repairs

the_doc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BritPilot
I am just checking I have the correct understanding of the requirements for the following repair:

The aircraft is operated privately and non-commercial, is on Standard (Normal Category) Airworthiness. Last annual was 27th September 2015 and it was fully signed off as usual.
A few weeks ago I took it in for loosened elevator rivets on one of the elevators (port side) I was worried about. The skin was removed as cracked and we found most of the ribs loose. There was virtually no corrosion, the elevator unit is 60 years old! (We checked out the other starboard elevator internally by removal of a bracket and boroscope - all is well, and looks healthy)

No one has replacement ribs or skins at all, and there are no good used options with yellow tags, so my A&P set about repairing the item with identical materials and techniques used in its original manufacture. He has had to make new ribs, a new end bracket and new skin up before assembling them all back into an elevator. The item will then be painted appropriately, and refitted, prior to testing.

Am I correct in thinking the repair work should not just be logged in the airframe logbook, but that an FAA Form 337 needs completing and filing? (I understand the concept of the Form 337 in principle and understand the A&P should complete it, including method, detail, and some diagrams of repairs and present it to an IA for countersigning if he is in agreement)

If a 337 is needed, should this be done and filed prior to test flight, or after?

If a 337 is filed, should I receive a copy of this for the aircraft documents or do I have to request this off the FAA?

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for being a newbie to this, but I have never had such an extensive repair on a US-registered machine and want to check I am following the FARs properly.

#1. Any major repair or major alteration needs to be documented in the aircraft, engine or propeller logs as applicable AND a 337 completed.
a. The 337 may be used as a field approval, meaning that a mechanic (IA) writes down what their "unapproved" plan of action is gives it to the Flight Standards District Office who then requests changes or stamps it as approved, then mechanic (IA) completes the repair or alteration then completes the remaining portions of the 337 and log entries.
b. The mechanic (IA) may already have approved data in the form of an STC, FAA form 8100-9, FAA form 8110-3, FAA form 8100-11, or an FAA approved repair scheme from a service manual or structural repair manual etc and simply documents on the 337 what was accomplished using that data <--- Not a field approval

#2 Airplane should be Returned to Service prior to flying it. I would also recommend a post test flight log entry stating the airplane was successfully test flown IAW 91.407.

#3 You get a copy, the FAA registration office in Oklahoma City gets a copy, and the mechanic (IA) usually keeps a copy.

Thanks so much for your information.

I checked FAR 43 and Appendix A prior as well, but wanted to make sure I understood properly and clearly.

When you state the aircraft should be Returned to Service prior to flight test, do you mean I should see the Form 337 completed AND an entry in the airframe log confirming the aircraft is returned to service?

Is the responsibility & liability with the IA & A&P to ensure they make repairs IAW particular manuals or references, or the owner to ensure they have done their job correctly? (not that as an owner you wouldn't want the job done correctly anyway!)

Yes

Lol! Yes

§43.13 Performance rules (general).

(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in §43.16. He shall use the tools, equipment, and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. If special equipment or test apparatus is recommended by the manufacturer involved, he must use that equipment or apparatus or its equivalent acceptable to the Administrator.

Appendix B to Part 43—Recording of Major Repairs and Major Alterations
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—

(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;

(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and

(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

(b) For major repairs made in accordance with a manual or specifications acceptable to the Administrator, a certificated repair station may, in place of the requirements of paragraph (a)—

(1) Use the customer's work order upon which the repair is recorded;

(2) Give the aircraft owner a signed copy of the work order and retain a duplicate copy for at least two years from the date of approval for return to service of the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance;

(3) Give the aircraft owner a maintenance release signed by an authorized representative of the repair station and incorporating the following information:

(i) Identity of the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller or appliance.

(ii) If an aircraft, the make, model, serial number, nationality and registration marks, and location of the repaired area.

(iii) If an airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance, give the manufacturer's name, name of the part, model, and serial numbers (if any); and

(4) Include the following or a similarly worded statement—

“The aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance identified above was repaired and inspected in accordance with current Regulations of the Federal Aviation Agency and is approved for return to service.

Pertinent details of the repair are on file at this repair station under Order No. ___,

Date
Signed
For signature of authorized representative)

Repair station name) (Certificate No.)

____________.”

(Address)

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this appendix, for a major repair or major alteration made by a person authorized in §43.17, the person who performs the major repair or major alteration and the person authorized by §43.17 to approve that work shall execute an FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

(d) For extended-range fuel tanks installed within the passenger compartment or a baggage compartment, the person who performs the work and the person authorized to approve the work by §43.7 shall execute an FAA Form 337 in at least triplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Placed on board the aircraft as specified in §91.417 of this chapter;

(2) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(3) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-751, Post Office Box 25724, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

This is a major repair, IAW FR 43.-A
(xiii) Changes to the wing or to fixed or movable control surfaces which affect flutter and vibration characteristics.
and this repair does require a field approval using
acceptable data, such as the structural repair manual for the aircraft.
Your A&P should know how to do this.

Read FAR 43- B

Appendix B to Part 43—Recording of Major Repairs and Major Alterations
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—
(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;
(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and
(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

I would also state in the log entry and 337 that it was repainted (if applicable) and balanced.

?? The part balanced, or you mean the aircraft balanced (weight and balance)

?? The part balanced, or you mean the aircraft balanced (weight and balance)

The elevator itself should be balanced. There should be a procedure in the service manual on how to do it. Typically a flight control is hung by the hinge bolts in some fashion and a tool is ued to determine how under or over balanced it is.

Flight control balancing should be performed anytime they are dinked with, as in repainted or repaired.

Just as a note: Not all flight controls, on all aircraft, are balanced, and some can be balanced installed "on wing" and some have to be in a leveled fixture.

Just as a note: Not all flight controls, on all aircraft, are balanced, and some can be balanced installed "on wing" and some have to be in a leveled fixture.

First time auditing a paint work order on a bigger jet I had flagged it for no flight control balance, then was informed that "eh these are hydraulic powered ailerons and there is no procedure for balancing them" lol.

Can't see any obvious info in the Service Manual mentioning balancing of the control myself... I'll sit and see what the A&P and IA decide between them?? (nothing is a simple as it seems in aircraft maintenance!)

I would also state in the log entry and 337 that it was repainted (if applicable) and balanced.
Yeah that! I'd say that is a near requirement to get FSDO to approve the field approval.

I'd like to know which make and model aircraft doesn't have a replacement elevator in a salvage yard?

You may be able to get the drawings from Cessna and submit those as data to substantiate the 337 application.

AC 43-18 talks about how to fibricate parts http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/Ac_43-18_Chg_1-2.pdf

When we had to replace the throttle cable in the Comanche in the end all we had to submit with the 337 was the AC outlining how cables were to be constructed

What kind of airplane is it? Or did I miss something here?

Back