Paper work, or how to make it legal

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I'm studying the engine up grade STC instructions to put the IO-360-K on a C-170-B.
There seems to be no mention as to how to do the exhaust. There are no prints that I can see.

The holder of the STC is not answering the phone.

The owner wants the Bartone type of exhaust that exits the cowl at the 6:00 position of the fire wall. Those pipes have their own STC but it's applied to the 0-300/C-170.

What paper will make this all legal?

I will talk to FSDO in the AM.

I'm studying the engine up grade STC instructions to put the IO-360-K on a C-170-B.
There seems to be no mention as to how to do the exhaust. There are no prints that I can see.

The holder of the STC is not answering the phone.

The owner wants the Bartone type of exhaust that exits the cowl at the 6:00 position of the fire wall. Those pipes have their own STC but it's applied to the 0-300/C-170.

What paper will make this all legal?

I will talk to FSDO in the AM.

Holder of the STC, says I'm missing some paper.
and the FSDO says do a deviation to the STC. to cover the change on the pipes.

Does the engine upgrade give you more airspeed, or just better take-off and climb? Do you get any useable weight increase with the bigger engine?

Does the engine upgrade give you more airspeed, or just better take-off and climb? Do you get any useable weight increase with the bigger engine?

Speed is a profile drag thing, climb is a power thing, so no added speed to notice, but the climb is awesome, but the 170 is still grossed at 2200#

But with the IO-360 you can exceed the forward CG limit with two up front and low fuel state. Specially when you run a constant speed prop.

This conversion makes the landing roll longer because you can't hit the brakes as hard. but it is a very smooth engine. and the dispatch dependability is very good with out the turbo on the TSIO versions. IMHO it is a 1000% better than the Lycoming 180 horse version up grade

Last edited:
Interesting. The 170 is on my short list of planes to buy. While I doubt I would ever have the need to use the capabilities of more horsepower, some out there on the market do have 180 hp or larger, and I'm not sure if it's worth the price for them.

Interesting. The 170 is on my short list of planes to buy. While I doubt I would ever have the need to use the capabilities of more horsepower, some out there on the market do have 180 hp or larger, and I'm not sure if it's worth the price for them.

If you are going to build a C-180, start with a C-180. believe me, it's cheaper,

Back