PAO Airport Day

Sasha and Sapphire are giving me a full body massage tomorrow, but other than that, I'm free.

Okay, but it will cost you! (It's going to cost me!)

I might actually BE in your neck of the woods though, seriously. I might stop by.

Cannot go. I have to dog sit. My latest and greatest airport thing will be trying to join the Coast Guard Aux in Sacramento (McClellan). It will take more than 6 months just for the background check and my "temporary member number" will take at least 2 months. In about a year or two I will get to buy a $200 green baggy flight suit (yipee).

24756.jpg

Kim - I bet you could make even that look cute... :wink2:

---

So my nephew has just started working, and as it works out, his office is across the street (Embarcadero) from KPAO. I need to see about getting him fixed-up with a flight school, or perhaps the Sundance club. Any suggestions?

Should I tell him to go out to the "Airport Day"? What all does Airport Day entail?

On the West Coast, "Airport Day" normally connotates something on the order of Burning Man.

Cannot go. I have to dog sit. My latest and greatest airport thing will be trying to join the Coast Guard Aux in Sacramento (McClellan). It will take more than 6 months just for the background check and my "temporary member number" will take at least 2 months. In about a year or two I will get to buy a $200 green baggy flight suit (yipee).
Oh well, bummer. I wonder if dogs are allowed :confused:

So my nephew has just started working, and as it works out, his office is across the street (Embarcadero) from KPAO. I need to see about getting him fixed-up with a flight school, or perhaps the Sundance club. Any suggestions?

Should I tell him to go out to the "Airport Day"? What all does Airport Day entail?
He should definitely make it to the Airport Day. It's a cool event with lots (for a small airport) of static displays, food, Young Eagle flights, etc. It's also a public relations event. As is usual around an airport, some of the snooty people in Palo Alto have a continual campaign to try to close the airport.
As for flight school/club recommendations, they're all good, a lot of the instructors at PAO instruct at more than one of the clubs.

Kim - I bet you could make even that look cute... :wink2:

---

Does he have a car? My airport is about 1-2 hours (depending on traffic) to the North. I could maybe one day take him for a flight.

So my nephew has just started working, and as it works out, his office is across the street (Embarcadero) from KPAO. I need to see about getting him fixed-up with a flight school, or perhaps the Sundance club.

I fly with those guys. The office is a dump and the aircraft are ugly, but neither of those are the reason I go there. I almost never have trouble finding an aircraft to rent, even on holiday weekends. Usually, I can find my first-choice aircraft for whole days at a time, at the last minute. While I can fit the family in any of the Skyhawks or Cherokees, I prefer to use the 180 HP versions. The 160 HPs are loaded to max gross with the family on board and full fuel. All the high wing aircraft are routinely filled to the top, so partial fuel requires several days of notice.

They are kinda expensive, but so is everyone else at PAO. They don't have any Hobbs minimums. Nice for vacation, kinda irrelevant for training. And there still is adequate availability, particularly for the trainers.

Like any club, some of the instructors are better than others.

PM me, and I'll take him around in a Warrior. I could use some landing practice in one of those (been flying the 172s lately).

Last edited:
I fly with those guys. The office is a dump and the aircraft are ugly, but neither of those are the reason I go there. I almost never have trouble finding an aircraft to rent, even on holiday weekends. Usually, I can find my first-choice aircraft for whole days at a time, at the last minute. While I can fit the family in any of the Skyhawks or Cherokees, I prefer to use the 180 HP versions. The 160 HPs are loaded to max gross with the family on board and full fuel. All the high wing aircraft are routinely filled to the top, so partial fuel requires several days of notice.

They are kinda expensive, but so is everyone else at PAO. They don't have any Hobbs minimums. Nice for vacation, kinda irrelevant for training. And there still is adequate availability, particularly for the trainers.

Like any club, some of the instructors are better than others.

PM me, and I'll take him around in a Warrior. I could use some landing practice in one of those (been flying the 172s lately).

Wow, Spike, now you have two flights lined up for your nephew!

Does he have a car? My airport is about 1-2 hours (depending on traffic) to the North. I could maybe one day take him for a flight.

"Hey, Chris, go fly with this pretty girl Kim."

(Chris' wife): "Say WHAT?"

I may be afraid to step into that swamp!

And no, this is not a comment about you, Kim (except for the pretty part).

---

I'm gonna see what I can set up; it seems too obvious that the boy needs to fly, what with him (1) having an office across the street from a thriving GA field, and (2) having expressed the intention of learning to fly.

Hey, I keep mine nice and clean :)
Yours is the aerobat? I've never flown it. I have a hard time fitting in the 150s. I've flown both of the 152s and they aren't all that pretty.

Though it seems yours in the shop now with wing damage....

Yours is the aerobat? I've never flown it. I have a hard time fitting in the 150s. I've flown both of the 152s and they aren't all that pretty.

Though it seems yours in the shop now with wing damage....
Not an Aerobat, though a couple of years ago the club had one. And yeah, a wingtip was damaged.

"Hey, Chris, go fly with this pretty girl Kim."

(Chris' wife): "Say WHAT?"

I may be afraid to step into that swamp!

And no, this is not a comment about you, Kim (except for the pretty part).

---

I'm gonna see what I can set up; it seems too obvious that the boy needs to fly, what with him (1) having an office across the street from a thriving GA field, and (2) having expressed the intention of learning to fly.

I am pretty sure MAKG is a boy. That should not upset any wives.

His occupation is "senior software engineer" and he appears to have a wife, so, I would say he's probably actually a fully grown man.

Male / Female = boy / girl to me (no age implied).

Just the way I say things. Everybody is so picky today!

Back