Panic Attack/Anxiety Attack

U

Unregistered

For Doc Bruce:

First, is there a difference between the two? I tend to think not, but not sure.

Without going into all the gory details, what ramifications are there for seeing a counselor about this if there is no medication involved? How would one report it on the next physical?

Thanks.

FYI, you are the best!

I discussed this exact question with a shrink once regarding someone I knew and my understanding was that Anxiety is a general state of agitation, emotions, nervousness obsessive thoughts etc. it can be mild or severe, Where as a panic attack is an acute onset of often paralyzing fear and anxiety that might for example make you run out of a movie theater in the middle of a movie.

I was once on a commercial flight and a man one row up after the door closed at the gate started to hyperventilated and sweat and shake, He had to get off the plane NOW, his girl friend pleaded with him to sit down but he was like a trapped animal and need to just get off. He unbuckled and quickly went to the front of the plane and pleaded with the stewardess. He clearly had a panic attack.

On the other hand I've flown commercial with people that have had anxiety about flying. They rubbed their fingers and tapped on the arm rest and grimaced when the engines spooled up and clenched my hand when we
rotated, they were very nervous but not panicked they had anxiety..

Anyway the shrink confirmed my understanding of the difference. I"m sure Bruce will add or correct as needed as I am not a shrink nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

As for reporting. I can't tell you HOW it gets reported but I can tell you don't lie.

Don't ask, don't tell.
That is the worst possible advice. If the FAA ever gets wind of it, and you lied on your medical, you are history. If it is an issue, and you can get it fixed, you still have a future. Just wait for Bruce to reply before you do anything irrevocable.

Adam is close. The anxiety attack is the superset of which the panic attack is a subset.

But from the FAA's point of view there is no difference. That's why going for needed help is reportable. What's going to count here is what the counselor records/ reports.

And if you used insurance to pay for the sessions, the investigator can find the codes in minutes.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back