Panel Update

Elijah Baker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SCPilot1161
Hello All,
I am looking at buying either a Piper Arrow II, or Mooney M20C, E, or F variant in the next year to two years. What I really want is the standard 6-pack instrument layout with a Garmin 430W receiver and 2 VOR’s. Yes I know the 430 is old and there are newer and better systems out but that is what I like and what I am used to. So my question is what would be a good budget to update said aircraft once purchased to my desired setup? I know some of the older Mooneys have the non-standard instrument layout so I would want to update that to the more modern instrument layout. Thanks in advance!

8 to 10 grand assuming you just need the 430 and panel rearranged. The mooney will be higher than the piper if it still has the old slanted panel.

Don't forget, you will need CDI/HSI that is compatible and an annuciator/nav switch. Those can add significantly to the cost if you don't already have them in the existing panel.

If you have that much time to wait, I would think the desired panel would show up on the market within your timeframe. Certainly should be less expensive that way. Enjoy the search, that’s part of the fun.

Thanks, I very well may find what I want in my search. Just wanted to get an idea on costs just in case. Thanks for all the comments and insight. All very good things to know and consider when searching.

Thanks, I very well may find what I want in my search. Just wanted to get an idea on costs just in case. Thanks for all the comments and insight. All very good things to know and consider when searching.
Keep looking for what you want. Hopefully if you find it you will be in a position to jump on it.

Buying a plane with a plan to update is always more expensive than buying a plane that has what you want. I imagine it would be even worse if you plan to install old style stuff because the install price will be the same as with new stuff and you won't be significantly increasing the value of your plane. I'm sure there will be plenty of planes to come up with a 430. Or you might find you have to settle for a 530.

Back