Panel re-do, should I OH some insts?

ActiveAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ActiveAir
I'm having my panel redone w/some upgrades and aligning the "six pack", etc. I'm toying w/having the AI and DG OH'd. Any rule of thumb on how often these and the other standard inst. should be OH'd? Or is it a matter of if it ain't broke, don't mess with it? I'm thinking while I have it down, I should knock some of this stuff out. Also, is Aspen 1000 really worth it? I already have G530W, and 696. I'm not thinking I'll get the extra utility out of the Aspen. Seems like more of a wow factor than practical. I have a '66 Comanche 260B. Thanks.

I'll just say that the folks on the Mooney List who got the Aspen think it's terrific.

And you're at or almost at the point where you can get the Aspen PFD/MFD and eliminate your mechanical gyros and vacuum system completely, as the Aspen would give you two completely independent sources of attitude information.

Alternatively, depending on your autopilot, you could keep the current AI or TC (whichever drives the autopilot) and get the single Aspen unit. I think you'd find it a step up in both usefulness and reliability over your existing AI and HSI/DG.

If you compare the price of units that provide the same data presentation as the Aspen you'll find it (the Aspen) to be a cost effective alternative, especially considering that you'll probably not have to make any major panel modifications. Their target market is retrofit, not new installation.

If you're re-doing the panel cutout layout anyway you might be better off going with one of the alternative larger displays (if you're wanting move to electronic display), but you'll pay more, too.

I have the PFD1000 Pro installed. I was looking for an EHSI when the Aspen was announced and with the cost of the Aspen not much more percentage-wise than a new EHSI I opted to wait until the Aspen was available. Despite some early adopter teething problems I've been pleased with the unit. I find it reduces the time for an instrument scan in IMC as it puts a majority of the info you need directly in front of you. I have a 430w and the Aspen allows me to remove the right side data fields on the Garmin for a larger map. I would have gone with a 530w but I am space limited in the radio stack. With an SL-30 as a second nav/comm it's nice to be able to monitor both VORs/LOCs on the same HSI display of the Aspen. Imho, the moving map feature of the Aspen doesn't add much utility if you already have a moving map display, although it is handy when flying an approach as it puts the missed/hold graphic right in front of you. The air data display is an asset giving you winds aloft, TAS, and OAT, which lets you validate accuracy of the forecast winds and possibly find more favorable conditions enroute. I also didn't need to cut any new holes in the panel for the Aspen installation.

I also have a complete vacuum panel in addition to the primary electrical panel on my plane. I replaced the pump, AI and DG back in the spring when the pump died. It seems when a vac pump croaks there's a high probability that carbon dust will be drawn back into the instruments before the pressure equalizes. Don't ask me how I know.. :) The old DG (~8 yrs old) had a lot of precession that I didn't think was unusual until I installed the new one, which is rock solid and drifts less than 5 degrees in a hour of flying. I didn't want the airframe downtime associated with sending off my instruments for overhaul, so I opted for new ones. O/H costs I were quoted were about 2/3 that of new replacements. (I had the old ones o/h'd and held on to them for a while until I felt confident the new ones weren't going to experience any infant mortality.)

I feel a lot more confident flying IMC now with the Aspen and the vac system updates. That doesn't guarantee against an in flight failure of either, but the likelihood of a simultaneous failure of both is pretty remote, imho. It may appear to be overkill, but I now have multiple heading, airspeed, altitude, and attitude indications, most of which are independent. I also use a handheld GPS for additional flight data redundancy. The handheld makes it handy to download to a computerized flightlog, too.

Below is an image of the unit in my panel during "first light" before calibration. What is not shown is the right side of the panel with the full vacuum instrumentation and duplicate ASI/ALT/VSI (belt and suspenders).

15JULY2008_0239.jpg

Last edited:
That is a SWEEEET layout.

The Aspen makes buying a used airplane and retrofitting a cost-competitive alternative to buying a newer G1000 airplane.

Also, is Aspen 1000 really worth it? I already have G530W, and 696. I'm not thinking I'll get the extra utility out of the Aspen.

The 530W and the 696 are GPS units - The Aspen is a PFD. Very different beasts!

If you don't already have an HSI, the Aspen (Pro model) will give you one. If you do, putting the Aspen in won't cost much more than overhauling what you've got, so they say.

The Aspen will also give you a lot of other functionality. Take a look at what it'll do: http://www.aspenavionics.com/

If I were you and had the dough to do so, I'd put the Aspen PFD in now and relegate the current gyros to backup status. Then, when the MFD is certified (or is it already? :dunno:), add it too (the MFD 1000) and you'll have dual AHRS and can toss the mechanical gyros completely if you wish. No more overhauls to worry about, ever. :)

I have the PFD1000 Pro installed. I was looking for an EHSI when the Aspen was announced and with the cost of the Aspen not much more percentage-wise than a new EHSI I opted to wait until the Aspen was available. Despite some early adopter teething problems I've been pleased with the unit. I find it reduces the time for an instrument scan in IMC as it puts a majority of the info you need directly in front of you. I have a 430w and the Aspen allows me to remove the right side data fields on the Garmin for a larger map. I would have gone with a 530w but I am space limited in the radio stack. With an SL-30 as a second nav/comm it's nice to be able to monitor both VORs/LOCs on the same HSI display of the Aspen. Imho, the moving map feature of the Aspen doesn't add much utility if you already have a moving map display, although it is handy when flying an approach as it puts the missed/hold graphic right in front of you. The air data display is an asset giving you winds aloft, TAS, and OAT, which lets you validate accuracy of the forecast winds and possibly find more favorable conditions enroute. I also didn't need to cut any new holes in the panel for the Aspen installation.

I also have a complete vacuum panel in addition to the primary electrical panel on my plane. I replaced the pump, AI and DG back in the spring when the pump died. It seems when a vac pump croaks there's a high probability that carbon dust will be drawn back into the instruments before the pressure equalizes. Don't ask me how I know.. :) The old DG (~8 yrs old) had a lot of precession that I didn't think was unusual until I installed the new one, which is rock solid and drifts less than 5 degrees in a hour of flying. I didn't want the airframe downtime associated with sending off my instruments for overhaul, so I opted for new ones. O/H costs I were quoted were about 2/3 that of new replacements. (I had the old ones o/h'd and held on to them for a while until I felt confident the new ones weren't going to experience any infant mortality.)

I feel a lot more confident flying IMC now with the Aspen and the vac system updates. That doesn't guarantee against an in flight failure of either, but the likelihood of a simultaneous failure of both is pretty remote, imho. It may appear to be overkill, but I now have multiple heading, airspeed, altitude, and attitude indications, most of which are independent. I also use a handheld GPS for additional flight data redundancy. The handheld makes it handy to download to a computerized flightlog, too.

Below is an image of the unit in my panel during "first light" before calibration. What is not shown is the right side of the panel with the full vacuum instrumentation and duplicate ASI/ALT/VSI (belt and suspenders).

15JULY2008_0239.jpg

Wow Steve, that's a really nice panel! (Makes me want to fly it again. :yes: :D)

Great info, thanks. Very nice panel! I'm aware of the 530/696 being different animals. The 696 does give some backup type instrumentation.
Getting quotes on the Aspen. Might opt to re-do the int. instead. With the installability of the Aspen, it looks like I could add it later w/o too much difficulty.

Back