Palo Alto (KPAO) GPS Rwy 31

delta727

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
delta727
Hi Everyone,

Until September, the KPAO GPS Rwy 31 approach has been NOTAM'ed as follows:

!FDC 8/2336 PAO IAP PALO ALTO, Palo Alto, CA.
GPS RWY 31, AMDT 1C...
TDZE 7. APT ELEV 7. S-31 MDA NA. CIRCLING CATS A/B MDA 540/HAA 533.
NORMAN Y MINETA SAN JOSE INTL ALTIMETER SETTING MINIMUMS: S-31 MDA
NA. CIRCLING CATS A/B MDA 580/HAA 573. FAS: 281 POLE
372307N/1220410W.
1801291331-1809101331EST

I don't know why the "pole" in the given location should be a factor (it's 5 full miles away), but there is another separate obstruction NOTAM for a 180' AGL crane .36NM S of the approach end of the runway. Maybe that has something to do with this.

A few questions I've been trying to wrap my head around:

1) Instead of invalidating the straight-in approach entirely, why wouldn't they just raise the S-31 minimums to 540' MSL, which is consistent with the raised circling minimums, and leave it at that?

2) What is the proper pattern entry maneuver in this case, where a circle is required and Rwy 31 is in use? Does the tower expect inbound IFR aircraft to circle NE to make a regular-way right 45 degree pattern entry at 540' MSL? I imagine that could severely complicate the normal pattern at 800' MSL!

3) Somewhat unrelated. Note the approach course is offset from the runway by 14 degrees (approach course of 322 vs. runway of 308). If the NOTAM weren't a factor, and we're flying the S-31 approach, at what point is it legal to deviate laterally from the approach course to "line up" with the runway? Once we do this, are we still flying the S-31 approach or are we now technically flying the "circle" and need to abide by the higher MDA (at least for Cat B)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 9
1. There are limits to how high an MDA can be and have straight in minimums. That doesn't mean you can't land straight in if you can get it down.

2. Whatever you and the Tower work out. They can't give you 'extensions' of downwind, upwind etc that take you out of the 'circling area' to be protected. If you need to circle to get down you'd most likely do it as an upwind entry with right turns back to downwind, base then final.

3. Soon as you see the runway. Your doing a straight in. They can be offset by as much as 30 degrees I think it is

Back