Palm Springs/Palm Desert

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Leslie and I are in Palm Desert until Sunday, 10/14. Any PoA'ers in the area want to get together? I'm available most of the time, Leslie only in the evenings and after Friday afternoon.

Also, anyone have any experience with the FBOs around here? I wouldn't mind getting up and doing a little local flying. And I'm thinking of heading over to the Aviation Museum at Palm Springs and looking around there.

Palm Springs FBO is muy expensivo (is that Spanish? I don't think so) but really nice inside. I'm willing to bet you'd do a LOT better renting from ANYWHERE else in the area.

The museum is great, I've been there once or twice while on business trips.

Like PJ said, the museum is great. I havn't been there since I was a kid when my g-parents lived in PSP, but it was pretty cool back then, I can't imagine it's gone down hill any.

Anyway you can pop down to San Diego for the Miramar show? It's this weekend. One of the best in the west.

I head into the desert. I head up to 29 Palms and then into the deep desert to Mojave Park. Incredible scenery. Make sure you have plenty of water as there is only one place to stop.

Anyway you can pop down to San Diego for the Miramar show? It's this weekend. One of the best in the west.
Long drive, but it's a possibility. I'll need to talk to Leslie about it. Unfortunately, the Twin Palms flight school at Bermuda Dunes is closed UFN because the owner passed away a couple of weeks ago, so I can't get a plane there.

I head into the desert. I head up to 29 Palms and then into the deep desert to Mojave Park. Incredible scenery. Make sure you have plenty of water as there is only one place to stop.
That sounds fun. THere's soaring at 29 Palms, IIRC. Are they still open? Even if not, the deep desert always is of interest.

29 palms is where they trained WWII glider pilots. im not sure if there is still a soaring operation there or not

and yes there is, according to the SSA, Twenty Nine Palms Soaring Club Inc. Don Renfro at (760) 366-7832 looks like they have standard collection of schweizers and a blanik for giving rides.

That sounds fun. THere's soaring at 29 Palms, IIRC. Are they still open? Even if not, the deep desert always is of interest.
Not sure about the soaring but Tony got that info for you. I get to PS for work and my brother in law lives in Vegas so I have driven from PS to LV accross the desert using the back roads several times now. I really love doing that.

I have also driven from SD via the back road to PS, stopped for lunch and then went on to LV. From SD using the back roads it was about a 4 hour drive. The trip through the mountains was worth it. I really liked being at 80F and then descending into PS and watching the thermometer climb to 110F

Not sure about the soaring but Tony got that info for you. I get to PS for work and my brother in law lives in Vegas so I have driven from PS to LV accross the desert using the back roads several times now. I really love doing that.

I have also driven from SD via the back road to PS, stopped for lunch and then went on to LV. From SD using the back roads it was about a 4 hour drive. The trip through the mountains was worth it. I really liked being at 80F and then descending into PS and watching the thermometer climb to 110F
That sounds fun. Unfortunately I have an Impala here, not the sportiest car, but still!

As you descend Hwy 74 toward Palm Desert you will recognize the road from the opening twenty minutes of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World ...

http://members.cox.net/mkpl4/mmmmw/thumb.htm

Well, I went out driving yesterday, and stopped by a few airports. So far I've gone to Bermuda Dunes (the FBO was closed), Roy Williams/Joshua Tree (no one was there), and TwentyNine Palms (again, no one was there, but they have nice pilot facilities).

Leaving TwentyNine Palms, I came back through the Joshua Tree National Park.

Tomorrow Leslie and I are heading to San Diego to do the Miramar Air Show!

Back