Palm Springs Aviation Expo... Anyone?

problematique

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay G
Thinking about taking a SR20 from Scottsdale AZ to the Aviation expo in Palm Springs Oct 16-17.
I've never been, anyone have any insight on if it's worth the trip?
IF I can find some passengers, I'm likely to go... :wink2:

PS isn't that fun for a straight younger guy.

You'll have a far better time in Big Bear or Havasu

PS isn't that fun for a straight younger guy.

You'll have a far better time in Big Bear or Havasu

Huh? You lost me...
The primary reason for the trip is the Aviation expo.
Hoping to find someone who has been before to obtain some insight. Also hoping to find some passengers interested in going.
Operation costs are sky high...

Huh? You lost me...
The primary reason for the trip is the Aviation expo.
Hoping to find someone who has been before to obtain some insight. Also hoping to find some passengers interested in going.
Operation costs are sky high...

Just not the best destination IMO. It's far from a grass roots aviators flyin

I've operated out of PSP quite a bit, if you must do it, go to the Atlantic side, they have a way better FBO and even a pool.

It's inside the TRSA, so you it's just like a normal delta as far as what you HAVE to do, but I'd talk to SoCal as you're coming inbound, there is a heap of restricted airspace to the east, ask if it's hot, sometimes you can go through other time you can't.

The banning pass is great for getting knocked around, lots of chop. Banning airport has some cheap fuel, but you go to call ahead and make sure the dude is there, Big bear also normally has cheaper fuel, also a WAY better place to hang out.

The coachella valley valley is ripe with thieves and pompous rich folks, even with all the security theatre at PSP stuff still goes missing, if you need any mx done go to KUDD, there is one shop at PSP and they are just there to prey on rich folks who have mx issues at the big airport.

If you're staying at PSP, I'd stay at the Ace. It's interesting and probably one of the only somewhat fun scenes.

Last edited:
If you get fuel at Big Bear, be real careful about weight and balance, and review your high altitude ops. Full rich is almost never called for (except perhaps during or right before engine start).

Lots of people screw that up, and the results aren't good.

It's a great place, though. I don't care much for Palm Springs. Too FN hot this time of year and nothing interesting to do.

I am thinking about flying over there from Colorado Springs. I have yet to fly too far west from CO, despite trying multiple times. I have flown all over central states and southeast. I mostly want to check off CA and a couple other airports out there and the expo is an excuse for the trip.

Carl

If you get fuel at Big Bear, be real careful about weight and balance, and review your high altitude ops. Full rich is almost never called for (except perhaps during or right before engine start).

Lots of people screw that up, and the results aren't good.

It's a great place, though. I don't care much for Palm Springs. Too FN hot this time of year and nothing interesting to do.

Well said! I have a cabin up there and the density altitude can easily get to 10,000 feet or more. My SR22 (basically an SR20 with 50% more horsepower) struggles to get airborne in 3000' feet on a hot day. Be sure to do the math with an SR20! On the plus side, it's a beautiful ride, and the fuel is the cheapest I've ever seen.

KPSP Aviation Expo rocks. It's a lot of fun. Expect to get fried in the sun in the SR20 unless it's a newer one with A/C. Even at KPSP, do your takeoff roll calcs if you use the shorter runway, given temps frequently exceed 115 degrees F. Watch the CHT's on climb out, lest you also fry the engine.

Yeah, It's the SR20 without the A/C but I have a portable A/C cooler in the back. I'm used to the heat anyhow, we have the same high temps over here in Scottsdale as well. At least in October it should be a bit cooler.
Oh how I love the CHT readouts on the Cirrus glass panel!
Big Bear is out, I'll have 3 passengers so there's no way I'm taking off at gross up there in the heat.

Big Bear won't be so hot, especially early in the morning. But it's good to be cautious about that. It's VERY dry this time of year, and early mornings cool off quite a bit. Today, forecast high is 75, low is 42. DA should be around 9000 and 7000, respectively.

Back