Palm Pilot or other PDA advice

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I might have to enter the 21st century. or would it really be the 20th, all things considered?

A friend just got one for her own trips. She can put photos on it, any trip notes/things to see and do, maps, you name it. It works in wifi spots too (will a Palm you buy here, work at a wifi spot in Europe?)

My first CFI used one to put her many flying notes and maybe even had some AIM stuff there as well (I first heard about TOMATO FLAMES at my first lesson - she pulled out her Palm).

what do you have, what do you use it for, do you like it and if you bought another one what would you get instead?

thanks...

I just got shamed into upgrading my old dinosaur Motorola Startac phone and my old Palm III, so I went with the Treo 650 Palm based combo unit. For flying, I use Copilot on mine. I haven't investigated any of the weather related apps yet, but there appear to be some selections out there, from what I've heard. Besides the standard contact list, appointments, etc, I use Timesheet for managing billable time, Top Secret for encrypting and storing passwords. The Treo has built in camera and video recording, web browsing, and email. There's an overwhelming plethora (is that redundant?) of shareware and purchaseable software. Google "palm software"

What Greg does on a Treo (Palm), I do on a Sprint PPC-6700 (Windows Mobile 5)...but I've got a bigger keyboard. :D

Oh...and 802.11b wifi...and e-mail delivery direct to the phone from my Exchange server.

The Treo 700 got my attention, though. Still not enough additional features to warrant a change but Treo is now working with a Microsoft product vs Palm-only.

On the PDA side, I used to be a Palm fan until recently moving to the Dell Axim series (that my wife now uses since getting this PDA phone). No issues with it.

Do a search here on PoA for PDA, Pocket PC, or Palm. There have been a few other threads on this same subject.

Treo 650 like Greg. I like the phone -- it's driven off my address book on my PC and has all kinds of great features. I use Pilot Mycast to get radar, TAFS, METARS, lightning, etc. I can carry my calendar around with me in the Palm as well!

Text messaging and email are usefull as well.

When my Palm V died I moved to an HP 4700. Basically, I was disappointed with the lack of support I got from Palm and the HP offered features I couldn't find in the Palm line.

I run the usual PDA applications as well as AnyWhere Map and Destinator. I plan to add WingX to the mix in the near future.

I've not had any problems running WiFi in Europe, the only complaint I have is that the WiFi interface in the HP has a considerable power draw and significantly reduces battery life when it is running. I generally don't bother with maintaining a constant network connection. PDAs really aren't designed for web surfing and e-mail can be done in batches.

Bruce

When my Tapwave Zodiac orphan bargain locked up on me I traded it under extended warranty for a 5th gen iPod.

Rather than buy another Palm and wait for it to break I got a Nokia 6682 smart phone from Cingular with EDGE data networking.
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6682

It has Bluetooth where you can also get your laptop or PDA online through the phone.

I put the Opera and Netfront web browser on it, and the new AT&T Yahoo functionality.

To see what the Symbian apps on this phone can do take a look here:
http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008503.html

You can also put the pilot mycast software on it but that, like a bunch of other stuff like streaming TV, expects you to pay an extra $10 a month for each. I have enough monthly $10 fees, thank you. BTW, unlimted data is $20 a month.

I can get weather on the web fine. I will eventually have a small laptop that I'll connect with the phone.

So far I'm liking it a lot.

I want with the VerizonVX6700,has web,Email,phone,camera,and is windows instead of palm.Plus has qwerty keyboard and big screen. I use USAIRNET to check WX , seem to work well but i've only had it for a week. Dave G.
P.S. it is also has WiFi and Bluetooth

Last edited:
Back