Painting People

Art Master

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Art Master
Someone asked why I don't paint people in aviation paintings.
Well, some day I will. I just haven't found that special image to paint.
So, although this isn't an aviation painting, it gives you an idea, when you come across one that is.

Note the ear and back hair is completed; and the face is made up of base colours.

Painting created under license.

Attachments

• cowboy.jpg
    cowboy.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I read about Giclee printing and they show a printer producing the reproductions. In your videos you show an outline drawing being colored in. How was the outline drawing made? What are you using to apply the color? It looks like the color by numbers pictures I made as a kid. No insult, I don't understand your process.

I read about Giclee printing and they show a printer producing the reproductions. In your videos you show an outline drawing being colored in. How was the outline drawing made? What are you using to apply the color? It looks like the color by numbers pictures I made as a kid. No insult, I don't understand your process.

I'm happy to answer your question RichNY.:D

The sketch "outline" is drawn freehand with 2B pencil. Digital of course.

Every painting and artist behind it, starts out with base colours. We work from the "general" to the specific", the latter being a matter of degree. eg. Impressionists

I was artistic from word go, it's a gift. We didn't have computers back then, and painting with canvas, oils, brushes, linseed oil, etc. My parents wanted to encourage my talent, but due to our large family, they could only afford the "Paint by Number" kits. It's a great way for anyone to start.

Later in life, i.e. Junior High, materials were paid by our schools, so that was a bonus. Every painting I made, someone wanted it. So I just gave them away to friends and relatives. My art teacher wanted one of my sculptures, and was ready to pay good money for it. I turned him down, and glad I did. I still have it to this day. Brings back good memories.

So to answer your question. I do the same thing as I did with my physical paints. I make a sketch on canvas (digital canvas), by looking at something "a model". An object(s) "Still Life", "Individual" or a photograph. The beauty of the invention of photography (an art in unto itself) artists no longer have to travel to locations, pay for gas, hotels, meals etc. No bugs or fly's to bother us. We leave that to the professional photographers. We find a photo, pay a licensing fee, and stick it up next to our canvas, and go for it.

When the iMac computers became a huge hit in 2006, I bought one. Other artists were making "the switch", so I had to try it. I purchased a Wacom Digital tablet and pen, which came with a basic version of today's Corel Painter X3.

Mind blowing results, as you can tell from my videos. The program mimics the real thing to the point that sometimes I forget I'm painting digitally. It's the same thing as before, only using a computer. The prints are even better. Every one of my clients are amazed when their print arrives.

Many people think when they go to a museum, they're viewing "original" works, in fact they're not, they're looking at a Giclee' print. Some originals do get displayed, but some are now too fragile and brittle to be transported and displayed. Most people cannot tell the difference.

What you see on my videos is the real deal, only done digitally. No filters, cloning, or other "assistance". Some artists do use these to enhance their freehand work, I prefer not to.

To get a more comprehensive idea, I encourage you, or anyone, to Google "Corel Painter Tutorials" and see how the different methods are applied.

Yes, as with any new technology, there is a debate raging in the art world on the definition of "original art".

I address that issue on my FAQ page. "One can never possess an original painting, or can they?"

Happy to assist. :goofy:

Something about her just looks kinda weird to me. I mean I totally would, but something just looks....strange

Ha ha ha… yes it does look strange. First time I saw a real body painting, I thought it was clothing. Well, "certain areas" are covered with a thong. :D

Something about her just looks kinda weird to me. I mean I totally would, but something just looks....strange
Same immediate impression here.

Heavily photoshopped is my guess. Heavily as in flesh and body parts being sculpted.

It's been awhile since you could believe any picture or video anywhere.

Same immediate impression here.

Heavily photoshopped is my guess. Heavily as in flesh and body parts being sculpted.

It's been awhile since you could believe any picture or video anywhere.

Allyson Averell does awesome body painting.:yes:

Personally I have a real problem with the images Big Media puts forward, eg. magazines. No one is that perfect. Just imagine the lack of self-image, self-esteem, some kids could develop.:rolleyes2:

Then there's body doubles in movies. That practice has been going on for a very long time. When old silent movies introduced sound syncing, some of those "original actors" had terrible voices, so they dubbed in others.

We humans are always looking to make ourselves look better, and it's usually to impress others. Billions are spent on makeup, plastic surgery, clothes, cars, houses, and art. For a real "eye opener" read "The Millionaire Next Door". :hairraise:

When I was down in a gallery in Key West buying my DeRubeis there was this other artist there who paints bodies to match a background painting he does and then photos them. He was doing one live in the gallery while we were there.

Awesome! I've seen it on the Internet, but would love to see it done for real. Which reminds me of those 3D sidewalk artists. Baffles me how they do it.:confused:

Awesome! I've seen it on the Internet, but would love to see it done for real. Which reminds me of those 3D sidewalk artists. Baffles me how they do it.:confused:
You owe it to yourself to do Key West. It's a great fly-in spot and there are lots of body painters - some with studios, some street artists, all quite serious. There are even competitions.

The best part are all the models willingly offering up their canvases. We've spent a good deal of time there.

You owe it to yourself to do Key West. It's a great fly-in spot and there are lots of body painters - some with studios, some street artists, all quite serious. There are even competitions.

The best part are all the models willingly offering up their canvases. We've spent a good deal of time there.

I know a guy that goes there almost every year.

I'll have to see it, for sure. :goofy:

Well, didn't think I'd see so much negative press to Natalie. It's kind of amazing.

Rop'n Cowboy - Stage II

See'n as were on a roll…

Painting created under license.

Attachments

• cowboy.jpg
    cowboy.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Confession time. In Daytona Beach during bike week several years ago body painting became a fairly common thing. So I rode my Goldwing onto the apron of the Broken Spoke Saloon (technically in Ormond beach) and waited for my friends to catch up before riding onto the premises. As I'm waiting, two absolute hard bodies walk by in nothing but tiny shorts and body paint. As I was watching them walk by and having to turn my head as they went past me, I dropped my bike on it's side. Remember, I'm on a Goldwing surrounded buy 500,000 Harleys. Damn.

Rop'n Cowboy Stage III

This gives you an idea of the full size painting. 40" x 30", shown at 15" x 11".

(Painting created under license)

Attachments

• Roping Cowboy2.jpg
    Roping Cowboy2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 23
Carrol Shelby? (sp?)

Re: Rop'n Cowboy Stage III

It looks a lot like illustration art. Were you trained as an illustrator? Just curious.

-John

Hey John,

I wasn't trained in illustration art specifically.
Public school is the limit of my training. Self-taught mostly.

I could have done a fine arts degree, but chose to do one in psychology/zoology.:mad2:

I like focusing on fine art, specifically emphasizing the unique orientation of "artistic" objects. I purposely make the background less than secondary to enhance the impact of the primary subject.

Then again, there's that raging debate between the definition of fine art and illustration art, that will never end. :rofl:

Last edited:
Re: Rop'n Cowboy Stage III

Hey John,

I wasn't trained in illustration art specifically.
Public school is the limit of my training. Self-taught mostly.

I could have done a fine arts degree, but chose to do one in psychology/zoology.:mad2:

I like focusing on fine art, specifically emphasizing the unique orientation of "artistic" objects. I purposely make the background less than secondary to enhance the impact of the primary subject.

Then again, there's that raging debate between the definition of fine art and illustration art, that will never end. :rofl:

I have a hunch that you would be more than happy with a career of making pictures than you ever would listening to and trying to resolve peoples endless problems. Zoology, well that might be different. You seem talented and should be doing well with your art.

Don't lock yourself into discounting backgrounds, that was very popular in the late 60s and 70s, but now it dates your art, or makes it appear as an illustration.

When appraising old paintings, one of the ways to tell if a painting was cranked out for the tourists or not is by studying the work put into the background, even if the background has been fogged back, it is an important part of the whole.

I had a friend years ago that specialized in wildlife, with mediocre sales. Like you, he claimed background distracted from his birds. I talked him into putting as much work into his backgrounds as he put into his subjects, it worked well for him.

I've spent my entire working life as a framer, I lived off my paintings for most of the 60s, but did a whole lot better framing them than I did painting them. I had foolishly gone and gotten married, framing won.

Please don't take me wrong, I've always been an opinionated as*hole.

-John

Thx for your opinion John, no worries.

I'm retired now, so people have to deal with their own issues. LOL.

I'll keep your advice in mind. Cheers!

Back