Paint Stripper?

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
I have fiberglass wheel pants that I need to remove the paint.
Please recommend what paint stripper I should use.
Thanks.

I’ve had good luck with CitriStrip. I used it on a fiberglass spinner. Since it was base/clear coat automotive paint and quite thick, I scuffed it really well with some 60 grit first… just enough to scuff the clear well. It didn’t remove all the paint but softened it to the point where I could remove it with a stiff plastic scraper.

The label says it’s not for use on fiberglass, but there was no damage or softening. This was epoxy glass, not polyester.

Aircraft Spruce sells some Stuart Systems stripper called EkoStrip, I think. I have a sample bottle but haven’t tried it, it was bitter cold when I got it and most strippers like warmer temperatures. Something to do with the glitter and coconut oil… oh, wait. Wrong strippers. Still, none of them
Work well when cold.

cb05ccc6-a2b7-4943-a43a-ad100be3c990_1.cf985d6200e9cd9cc5d10a8a05431a82.jpeg

Sorry, but I’m not following the reference photos…
Do you suggest scuffing the surface then paint? Do not strip the paint?
I'm suggesting sanding instead of stripping. Sanding is less likely to do serious damage to fiberglass / gel coat than even "fiberglass safe" strippers. (I have had "fiberglass safe" strippers do damage in the past...)

I'm suggesting sanding instead of stripping. Sanding is less likely to do serious damage to fiberglass / gel coat than even "fiberglass safe" strippers. (I have had "fiberglass safe" strippers do damage in the past...)

This.

Pro paint shops sand down (don’t strip) fiberglass for a reason.

Well thanks to all who responded.
I will not use paint stripper on my fiberglass parts.
Cheers!

Walnut media in a blast cabinet or find a shop to do it.

Less than 10 minutes work, won't harm the matrix and leaves a great tooth for the new paint.

Back