Paint in a can

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
I have the paint code from my logbook, I like to get the paint in an aerosol can for some touch up work, any idea how,where to go to get this?

If you want it to look good, have someone that knows what they're doing touch it up. They'll be able to match the current paint color (after fading etc) and apply it correctly.

I think the code will only get you 'close' unless it was painted in the last year and stored inside. Age and weather will alter the appearance from the original.

I think the code will only get you 'close' unless it was painted in the last year and stored inside. Age and weather will alter the appearance from the original.

Even if it was painted very recently it may still only be close. And sometimes it isn't any better even if you take a panel in and have it matched.

I painted a cowl a while back and had the paint mixed based on a panel I brought in to be analyzed. It still came out being slightly off from the rest of the plane, but not that bad. Someone with a good eye will spot it but nobody else will.

I have the paint code from my logbook, I like to get the paint in an aerosol can for some touch up work, any idea how,where to go to get this?

Well I'd call the paint manufactor in your logs.

As for in a can, I'm sure it would work, but I wouldn't rattle can my plane.

Just call a automotive shop, there are also some micro detailing places which will come to you and use small air brushes to fix chips, most can get them out to the point that you can't tell there ever was damage.

#1 Paint does not match. Even the same paint from the same can sometimes won't match, depending on the color.
#2 White is the hardest color to match.
#3 a person can mix a pint of color, then turn around and mix another pint of the same color, and it might match, but odds are it won't. There are a many colors that are garonteed to not match unless a minimum amount is mixed. Some of those colors have a minimum of 2 quarts to be mixed.
#4 #'s 1 through 3 are why we blend. And achieving a seamless color match and blend can be difficult, even for those of us with over 30 years doing it on a daily basis.
But, there are a few places around that will hook you up with a custom spray can.
they aren't cheap, and may or may not be satisfactory for the job.

Preval has a sprayer that's useful for small jobs where a guy doesn't have a gun or compressor or has a quick touch-up that can't justify the time to set up all the stuff. Home Depot is one place to get them:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

271939.jpg

The white canister has a bunch of propellant in it; lasts quite a while, as in several small jobs. The glass jar is washable. I worked in a big shop for a while where they usually just tossed it after one use; the labor cost to clean the jar wasn't worth it.

Rattle cans are no good for catalyzed paints, and most airplanes are painted with such stuff now.

Last edited:
The guy I was working for at the aircraft museum is pretty good at paint matching. He has an auto body paint supply shop he works with that has a good mixing technician but it can still take 2 or 3 tries to get the color right.

Does paint have to be certified for aircraft to be able to use it on a plane?

Does paint have to be certified for aircraft to be able to use it on a plane?

I doubt that unless the manufacturer of the airplane requires a specific type of paint or brand. You can also get into a situation with an STC for fabric that might require a specific type or brand of paint and I think that is the case with the one of them.

My paint is a metallic blue, with kind of natural variations, plane painted 6 years ago and always hangared, so matching shouldn't be too hard, plus the spots would not be in the high visible areas like top of the wing.

Even if it was painted very recently it may still only be close. And sometimes it isn't any better even if you take a panel in and have it matched.

I painted a cowl a while back and had the paint mixed based on a panel I brought in to be analyzed. It still came out being slightly off from the rest of the plane, but not that bad. Someone with a good eye will spot it but nobody else will.

Did they put it in aerosol can? Where did you bring it?

Did they put it in aerosol can? Where did you bring it?

The local auto body supply shop will not put catalyzed paint in rattle cans anymore. I used a HVLP spray gun and mixed the paint myself.

You can also get into a situation with an STC for fabric that might require a specific type or brand of paint and I think that is the case with the one of them.

With STC'd fabric systems (that is, everything other than the old dopes), the STC requires you to use the same system's products all the way from the specified fabric and adhesives to the topcoats, and the governments have been enforcing that for some time now. It used to be that some guys would buy the system's fabric and base coats and use some other shiny urethane or whatever on top. It led, in a few cases, to the topcoat attacking the base coats and/or adhesives and having stuff come loose in flight. Bad deal.

Harbor freight has an air brush kit PN 95810 for $22 and you would need a hose for it for $8. It is perfect for small touch up jobs and if you have larger areas to do they have a small gun PN 47016 for $10 right now that really does beautiful work. These work well enough that they even make my paint work look fantastic. It must be the tools because I know I am lousy at painting. Really at those prices if you use them once you already got your moneys worth.

Preval has a sprayer that's useful for small jobs where a guy doesn't have a gun or compressor or has a quick touch-up that can't justify the time to set up all the stuff. Home Depot is one place to get them:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

271939.jpg

The white canister has a bunch of propellant in it; lasts quite a while, as in several small jobs. The glass jar is washable. I worked in a big shop for a while where they usually just tossed it after one use; the labor cost to clean the jar wasn't worth it.

Rattle cans are no good for catalyzed paints, and most airplanes are painted with such stuff now.

Do this. The autobody paint dept at the local Robbins auto parts store used some camera thing to make up a can of paint that matched an inspection panel I brought in. The match was almost perfect. Very hard to tell the difference, even up close.

Make sure to get a good thinner to mix with the paint before spraying.

I rattled canned a truck I built. This truck won the nationals car show that was held in Peoria Illinois a few years ago. No one could tell I rattle canned the paint on that truck.

My local auto paint dealer mixed this paint and put it in a rattle can. This was a two part paint. You pushed on the bottom to release the second part into the paint. Worked great.

Back