Paint Cleaning

flyingriki

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
flyingriki
Contrary to know-it-all hennning (helmet guy) and probably his cyber groupies.... this is, by far, the quickest, most sensible way to remove contaminants from your paint. Leaves a smooth surface ready for waxing. Usually one time will last a very long time unless you tie down outside near trees etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWUtXiVMg0

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g1016-smooth-surfacereg-clay-kit/

I think Mother's makes a kit too. I've had the same clay for 10 years or so. Done three cars, one parked outside a couple times, and the plane once. Used to wonder why no amount of compounding would smooth out the surface even using a Griot's expensive random orbital tool. :mad2:

You can rub and rub and rub with compounds and other abrasives but all that will do is take off paint or clear coat around the little bumps you feel and by the time you actually rub off the bump you've reduced the thickness and life of your paint substantially, leaving only fresh paint under where the bump was. :yikes:

Clay shears them off at the surface. :yes:

Try it, you'll be impressed. also removes overspray!
One of those magical things that come around so rarely.

Interesting! Pricey on Amazon, but interesting.

Austing: Well that's great for cars, but will it work on aircraft?

I know my plane needs a good cleaning, I can never seem to find the time to do it, but I bought some carpet cleaner (carbona) and I've got some extreme green I was going to use to give her a bath perhaps this weekend.

I don't know if I'd go the clay bar route as it does seem a bit pricy and I don't exactly have "days" of time to clean my plane.

I've used clay on my planes and always use it on my cars. The biggest problem is it's time consuming. I used to do it by myself and I would need a day or so to do it all because I get tired.

I will also clay bar the belly- and that sucks. But once you get the whole thing clayed - spend time to polish it out. Then use a nice coat of Rejex and then LoPrestis Speed Coat as a top layer - comes out great.

Then every time you fly just wipe it down with a little wash and dry (I forget the stuff I use but its blue, made for aircraft and smells good).....

I've never rubbed anything but bugs and dirt off with cotton Tshirts.

Austing: Well that's great for cars, but will it work on aircraft?

Yes. We're developing a product like this and have tested several as market research. There is nothing special about aviation paint that prevents clay bars from working nor do they pose a hazard. The only bit of a rub (sorry) is that planes with rivets and overlapping panels tend to get the clay stuck sometimes. Not really a problem you have with automotive usage where there are no rivets and panels have a quarter inch rounded gap most of the time.

I've used clay on my planes and always use it on my cars. The biggest problem is it's time consuming. I used to do it by myself and I would need a day or so to do it all because I get tired.

I will also clay bar the belly- and that sucks. But once you get the whole thing clayed - spend time to polish it out. Then use a nice coat of Rejex and then LoPrestis Speed Coat as a top layer - comes out great.

Then every time you fly just wipe it down with a little wash and dry (I forget the stuff I use but its blue, made for aircraft and smells good).....

Sounds (and smells) like Wash Wax All... Good stuff if the plane is not to soiled...

Sounds (and smells) like Wash Wax All... Good stuff if the plane is not to soiled...

Thats the stuff. And yes, correct it is NOT for cleaning as far as I am concerned. I use it like i would a quick detail spray on a car. After a flight it's great to spray the leading edges and wipe it off and a quick cleaning. But sometimes you gotta get down and dirty and do a wash and wax...

But it's therapeutic to me. I get out of the house and sit in the hangar, maybe smoke a cigar, wax and talk to fellow pilots all day.

Thats the stuff. And yes, correct it is NOT for cleaning as far as I am concerned. I use it like i would a quick detail spray on a car. After a flight it's great to spray the leading edges and wipe it off and a quick cleaning. But sometimes you gotta get down and dirty and do a wash and wax...

But it's therapeutic to me. I get out of the house and sit in the hangar, maybe smoke a cigar, wax and talk to fellow pilots all day.

I find it therapeutic too...:yes: It's a great way to find any issues with the exterior...

Clay bar is awesome. I can do the entire top of the RV in a couple of hours. Afterwards, the paint feels as smooth as when it was new. That makes it a great time to put on a coat of wax.

I seem to clay bar every couple of years.

Wash Wax All also has Degreaser and Belly Wash.
http://washwax.com/

At Henning's suggestion I used clay on my windscreen when a shop got overspray on it. Mostly because I already owned some and new it had worked before on my paint. Worked like a charm and my screen honestly never looked so good. Also like the WWAll product for the tops of wings, etc. Wet rag, dry rag and bottle of WWA was an easy couple of hours.

Curious, why clay the belly? It's best for removing the tiny bumpy contaminants. I don't even need it on my car doors. Never felt anything there only on the roof, trunk and hood. Same with the plane. Bellies are usually oily and thats not a clay job, that's a solvent job, then replace the wax. Just curious. :confused:

Last edited:
Auto stuff works on aircraft 90% of the time.

As for cleaning aircraft belly, use gojo non pumice, just slap it on, start working on cleaning other stuff, than just wipe it off, use a little scrubbing with it for the tuff spots, it's 100% safe and works great, can be had for cheap at solar stores and online

At Henning's suggestion I used clay on my windscreen when a shop got overspray on it. Mostly because I already owned some and new it had worked before on my paint. Worked like a charm and my screen honestly never looked so good. Also like the WWAll product for the tops of wings, etc. Wet rag, dry rag and bottle of WWA was an easy couple of hours.

Helmet guy's suggestion? Really? He poo pooed my suggestion to use clay a couple years ago with his story of how pretty a jet was that he detailed by compounding the crap out it until the bumps were gone. Didnt address the fact he took half the thickness of paint off doing that. But hey, not his plane!
Either your memory is faulty or he woke up.....:idea:

Last edited:
100LL works like a charm.

Make sure you're smoking while you do that! Kidding aside, never use gasoline for any type cleaning!!! Back to the question at hand, it depends what you have to clean off. I've seen a hydraulic leak leave a gummy/sticky mess that seems like nothing will remove it. LPS3 works real well.

Make sure you're smoking while you do that! Kidding aside, never use gasoline for any type cleaning!!! Back to the question at hand, it depends what you have to clean off. I've seen a hydraulic leak leave a gummy/sticky mess that seems like nothing will remove it. LPS3 works real well.

If the hydraulic fluid is 5606 the best think to use is fresh 5606 soaked rag. Light rubbing with the saturated takes it right off.

Helmet guy's suggestion? Really? He poo pooed my suggestion to use clay a couple years ago with his story of how pretty a jet was that he detailed by compounding the crap out it until the bumps were gone. Didnt address the fact he took half the thickness of paint off doing that. But hey, not his plane!
Either your memory is faulty or he woke up.....:idea:
Well, my memory is faulty, but not in this case. I took a lot of guff for not stringing the shop up by the thumbs for the overspray, but at his suggestion I used the clay bar and it worked great. I definitely didn't see the jet story though! :eek:

Back