Padlocks

I prefer Schlage padlocks because I can key them to my house key.

This whole answer was great. The Schlage stuff really is convenient for master and regular keying all the stuff together with “normal” keys that aren’t a PITA to obtain or get made. Also not too hard to make them a tad harder to rake. Picking is a different story.

Then it’s just a big fat protected shackle and make the wimpy Master one hanger up, or next door, or whatever ... look juicier.

Thieves are as intrinsically lazy as anybody else unless they are targeting something specific.

And if they can break it, versus having to truly defeat it, they will.

The airport where I rent supplies the locks so they have a key to do inspections, bug spraying, changing lights....

That said, our T-hangars have fiberglass along the sides of the dividers between the hangars. I have pushed the fiberglass in, reached in and lifted the locking bar while the lock is still in place.

Moral is, check that the lock is the weakest link in the security.

Because they have lock cylinders that will open in less than three seconds when raked. About the only thing that makes the difficult is that the things are so horrendously machined that you have to put more force on the core while doing so (might bend thinner tension wrenches).

Watch this video:
Skip ahead to 2:36. From the time he sticks the rake in the lock to the time it is open is under three seconds. It's not even a technique that requires any skill.

I prefer Schlage padlocks because I can key them to my house key..
Some of the better ABUS locks can take a Schlage core. Adding a few spool pins will show things down a bit.

American 700 Series padlocks.

We have had dozen of different locks over the years to lock up truck doors and equipment.

I threw them all out and ordered a meter set of the American 700 series locks when once had a driver loose a key to a 700 that was securing the roll up door. With quite an array of the power tools at out disposal and time becoming of the essence, we ended up having to cut the actual truck lock handle to get the truck open unable to breach the actual lock.

Everything is prone to picking by a skilled person or subject to high power destructive tools, but for the more likely smash and grab try and bust the lock attack I have become a diehard believer in this lock. I have it on everything. You can order by key # from various vendors so as you add locks for whatever down the road you only need one key on your ring.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Lock-A700D-2-1/dp/B0013G51QS

It is one of Lock Picking Lawyer's "favorite general purpose padlocks" which is a pretty high bar.

Last edited:
Back