Pacemaker dependent

J

Jason c

I’m sure this has been answered before but any issues with getting a special clearance ? I’ve had it for years and just going fir 3rd class . Thanks

Also should I just go thr sport pilot route or am I elimated from that. I searched pages of the thread and shocked this is not a more common issue.

Also should I just go thr sport pilot route or am I elimated from that. I searched pages of the thread and shocked this is not a more common issue.
The pacer requires onetime screening for CAD-
Stress treadmill
lipids/glucose
Office visit in which the doc discusses cardiac risk factors.
3rd Class does NOT require that you demonstrate "pacer independence".

Six monthly pacemaker reports accumulated and submitted annually.

Never go for application without having what you need, on hand, and favorable BEFORE you go.

The pacer requires onetime screening for CAD-
Stress treadmill
lipids/glucose
Office visit in which the doc discusses cardiac risk factors.
3rd Class does NOT require that you demonstrate "pacer independence".

Six monthly pacemaker reports accumulated and submitted annually.

Never go for application without having what you need, on hand, and favorable BEFORE you go.

I am in Jacksonville Florida - do I just pick any ame in my area ? Also just to confirm : go to my cardio , get the tests you say above, then take these docs to the ame I choose for his exam and to complete the app? Also I am not eligible for sport license corrrct? Thanks so much

I am in Jacksonville Florida - do I just pick any ame in my area ? Also just to confirm : go to my cardio , get the tests you say above, then take these docs to the ame I choose for his exam and to complete the app? Also I am not eligible for sport license corrrct? Thanks so much

For that area of Florida, we have a few members nearby. Hopefully so someone can recommend an AME.

Also look on Facebook for groups of aviators near to you and ask them. In the DFW group, the question comes up periodically, and the responses always include good AME's that will help. And point out the bad ones to avoid.

Regarding the steps to proceed, get all of the items Dr. Bruce lists above. Then make a consultation appointment with the AME to review your case and answer the main question of "Do I have all that is needed to get certified now?"

The consultation is just that, and not a "live exam" that gets reported to the FAA. The important difference is if during the consultation ration, you come up short, nothing gropes to the FAA that will wrap you around the axle, and you are provided the opportunity to address the deficiencies. It it was a live exam, and you cannot be issued the certificate, then you wind up in deferral hell and that isn a fun place to be.

if at the end of the consultation the AME says you are solid, then you can proceed with the "live exam" and obtain your 3rd class certificate.

I Also I am not eligible for sport license correct?

The medical requirements for Sport Pilot is a current driver's license. Additionally, you must not have failed your last FAA medical, or had it revoked. As AggieMike88 pointed out in the steps to take your medical, do not take your medical "live exam" until you are 100% sure your medical will be issued, or else you risk losing your Sport Pilot privileges.

EAA's Sport Pilot Sourcebook reads "Generally, sport pilots are allowed to use their state driver’s license to establish medical fitness. They must also follow any restrictions or limitations listed on their driver’s license. In addition, every pilot—from sport pilot to airline transport pilot— must determine before each flight that he or she is medically fit to operate their aircraft in a safe manner. As a pilot, it is your responsibility to ensure that your current medical health in no way jeopardizes the safety of a flight".

For that area of Florida, we have a few members nearby. Hopefully so someone can recommend an AME.

Also look on Facebook for groups of aviators near to you and ask them. In the DFW group, the question comes up periodically, and the responses always include good AME's that will help. And point out the bad ones to avoid.

Regarding the steps to proceed, get all of the items Dr. Bruce lists above. Then make a consultation appointment with the AME to review your case and answer the main question of "Do I have all that is needed to get certified now?"

The consultation is just that, and not a "live exam" that gets reported to the FAA. The important difference is if during the consultation ration, you come up short, nothing gropes to the FAA that will wrap you around the axle, and you are provided the opportunity to address the deficiencies. It it was a live exam, and you cannot be issued the certificate, then you wind up in deferral hell and that isn a fun place to be.

if at the end of the consultation the AME says you are solid, then you can proceed with the "live exam" and obtain your 3rd class certificate.

thanks !!!

The medical requirements for Sport Pilot is a current driver's license. Additionally, you must not have failed your last FAA medical, or had it revoked. As AggieMike88 pointed out in the steps to take your medical, do not take your medical "live exam" until you are 100% sure your medical will be issued, or else you risk losing your Sport Pilot privileges.

EAA's Sport Pilot Sourcebook reads "Generally, sport pilots are allowed to use their state driver’s license to establish medical fitness. They must also follow any restrictions or limitations listed on their driver’s license. In addition, every pilot—from sport pilot to airline transport pilot— must determine before each flight that he or she is medically fit to operate their aircraft in a safe manner. As a pilot, it is your responsibility to ensure that your current medical health in no way jeopardizes the safety of a flight".

thanks !!!

I think you definitely want a consult with an AME who is friendly to this stuff before you go for the exam. You don't talk about other issues, but dui's, drug issues or banned meds for mental issues will be a problem too. Plus being obese per the bmi guidelines will require additional hoops to be jumped through. Worth the effort in my opinion, don't get discouraged.

When doc B says favorable, make sure an AME says it's favorable, not just your docs.

If you want to talk to a pilot who’s been through it? Send me a message.

I take it you haven’t held a 3rd class medical to qualify for BasicMed?

If you want to talk to a pilot who’s been through it? Send me a message.

I take it you haven’t held a 3rd class medical to qualify for BasicMed?

yes I would love your help and to hear about your experience. I’m 44 and have never held any license or went to a applied for any medical. My email address is jackcoast@gmail.com -

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back