PA28 vs R22 Midair video

I noticed that too, the helicopter was virtually undamaged it seems. That tiny little 4 inch or whatever piece of metal that connects the wing to the body, I'm sorry but just seems too small my opinion.

A Mooney will drill halfway through a house and both wings will stay on

The connection is meant to withstand primarily sheer at the bolts. I don't think it was designed to withstand impact with a helicopter at the point of maximum bending leverage - the wingtip. Had it impacted the leading edge further inboard the outcome likely quite different for both aircraft.

But I agree, if you just must have an airplane that is, best to keep looking. ;) :D

(Mooneys are hellaciously strong airframes. But I think there's only one wing on them...single piece, all the way through?)

Last edited:
Anyone else notice the dude walking in the foreground who appears to be completely oblivious to the crash that happens right in front of him?

Looks like when he heard the noise from the collision he turned, took a few seconds to process what he was witnessing, and then began running towards the Cherokee. I don't think he was oblivious as one doesn't expect to see a crash like that. It just took a few seconds to process it.

I am not a helicopter pilot, so I don't know what the rules are, but it seems rather odd that a helicopter would remain stationary over a runway. I thought that they always landed on the taxiways or aprons.
Not always. The biggest exception is at a towered airport where using the runway is controlled by the tower (duh!) At an uncontrolled airport... :dunno:. -Skip

Gyroscopic stability is an powerful force. Even more so when it’s working against you, but in this case it was a huge benefit.

That makes sense. The main rotor wasn't damaged and kept turning, so I can see that.

I was landing at a small airport when a r22 was doing pattern work. I could not see it at all until it was sitting on the numbers when I was abeam them. I thought they were calling "SR22" so I was looking for a cirrus, not a helicopter.

They sat on the numbers while I called and flew downwind, base and final. They finally moved after I asked them what their intentions were.

(Mooneys are hellaciously strong airframes. But I think there's only one wing on them...single piece, all the way through?)

Right! Combined with the steel roll cage around the passenger compartment, I feel really safe in mine.

Back