PA28-180 Cherokee Avionics upgrade

Larswa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lars
Hi,

I am a newly minted PPL holder, and I am looking at buying a PA28 Cherokee and upgrading it's avionics. I would love some suggestions as what to get. I'm buying it in the uk and it is cheaper for me to get things done there, then taking it back to DK with me, than getting things done in DK, so I am trying to think ahead. In a couple of years time I probably know exactly what to get, but I need to try and figure it out know.
So can you help a a kid in a candy store, as to how to spend his money? :)

My aim is to use this aeroplane for the next 5-6 years, then most likely to upgrade to an Arrow or another complex/retractable cruiser. During that time, I want a full IR and this aeroplane should support me through that.

The issues with the current avionics is:

Currently is has a broken ADF instrument (the receiver is picking up, but needle not moving)
A mode C transponder. (I need an S)
A broken Comm 1 and the radiostack is 25 Khz
And I want a GPS and maybe a HSI?

I was thinking about getting a Garmin GNS430W - or a 530W if I can find a reasonably priced one. How does that fit in to the picture?

I am not really on a budget here - I would say I was looking at something around 20-30K to pour into this, but if the complete avionics package makes sense, and it costs more, I have the money for it.
Also - would this be something I would move to say an Arrow, and fit in the old parts in a sale? Or would it retain it's value if I sold it on?

It sounds like you would do well with a stack based on a Garmin GNS or GTN series unit like the 430W. That would provide your needed 8.33 kHz-spaced comm you need in Europe as well as the GPS capability you want. The companion Garmin GTX330 transponder would give you the Mode S capability you also need there in Europe. Add a second nav/comm such as the Garmin SL30, and an audio panel like the Garmin GMA340 or PSEngineering 8000, and you have pretty much all the avionics you need. However, I'm guessing that package will probably be around $25K installed in Europe, which won't leave enough for an HSI in your budget. However, by getting the GTN750 or GNS530W rather than the GNS430W, you will get on the larger screen an additional display option which provides pretty much all the situational awareness that an HSI would give, and I think that would stay within your budget.

I agree with what Cap'n Ron says except I would stay away from the Garmin audio panel and install the PS Engineering 8000BT he also listed. The 8000 is available both with and without bluetooth. There is such a small difference in cost in the two that I highly recommend the BT one. I put a PMA8000BT in my plane last November and love it.

Last edited:
I just installed a ps engineering 8000BT audio panel and a garmin gtn 650. I am very happy with that setup. I looked for a used garmin 430, but for the kind of money even the used units were getting, I decided to buy new and get the warranty.

For an HSI, I would look into an aspen. An aspen will bring a lot more to the table than just a HSI.

I would look for an airplane that would fit your long term needs. Upgrading airplanes is not cheap.

Hi guys,

Great feedback and good suggestions. I'll go read up on the products mentioned and capabilities gained.

And kgruber - I'd love going with a Bonanza, but I have 2 prosthetic legs and are currently bound to flying "With approved hand controls" as my medical puts it.

That limits me to the Cessna 152/172 and the PA28, (and some ultralights and gliders). And I only own handcontrols for the PA28.
I used to fly a a regular glider, and a motorglider - a Dimona H36 taildragger with my feet, which I got approval for, but decided to go full PPL instead. I am always looking for planes with non-brake rudder pedals that I might be able to use my legs/feet on, but I haven't found any yet.

G-500 w/ SVT and a GNS-750 using the plug in transponder and audio panel. EI MVP 50P engine monitor, put the six pack on the right.

Last edited:
Not within his budget -- not even close.

I didn't see a budget limit quoted. BTW to the OP, there is a hand control STC for the Bonanza, I helped Louie Rigo install it on a couple of Bonanzas.

You missed this part?
What you suggest will be well over twice that amount by the time you add the Mode S transponder and a second nav/comm with 8.33 kHz comm spacing.

I also saw this:
but if the complete avionics package makes sense, and it costs more, I have the money for it.

If he wants a modern panel, he can have a modern panel on an upgrade plus the plane for less than a plane with the panel from the factory.

Then why not suggest the complete L3 system? That's only about $80K installed, and is far better integrated with more capability that the G500 with GTN750..

I didn't see a budget limit quoted. BTW to the OP, there is a hand control STC for the Bonanza, I helped Louie Rigo install it on a couple of Bonanzas.
I need info on the Beech hand control. Are they still available?

Back