PA24 down KAFP

That, and maybe anyone that has a old airplane figures this is the time to clean it up and sell it. Not making any assumptions about the condition of this accident airplane or the seller.

I am pretty sure the new owner and his IA were the passengers. I do not think the pilot's age was a factor. Pilot error is almost always the cause. If you elect to fly an aircraft that is sputtering and backfiring, that is a bad decision no matter when it was last flown.

Gethomeitis has killed a lot of people.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my first Taylorcraft and the guy that bought it from me flat out wouldn’t take a lick of instruction from me at a reduced rate to get him back in shape. Ground looped it at his first stop but didn’t break it, then totaled it in a ground loop a month or two later.

It’s entirely possible they knew exactly what was wrong with the plane, or their own rustiness and chose to fly it anyway. Sigh.

The next question that comes to mind is: was the airplane on a ferry permit, or is some IA in deep water for having signed off on a plane that sounds like it was clearly questionable?

A 205 that's been sitting on the ramp at Elkin for 20 years just sold on Ebay for 33k. Will be curious to see if that ends in an accident report or they will do the right thing and disassemble it.

This airplane sat at a local grass strip near my home for about 20 years since it was last flown.

I looked at this aircraft about 6 months ago to try and determine the serial number on the crankshaft for the new owner at that time. I told the owner that IMO, this aircraft was a major rebuild project...the fuel system had been left dry for years...rubber bladders were bone dry...all hoses and other components were in need of replacement, not to mention that the condition of the engine and accessories were suspect. All systems needed overhaul. It looked rough and needed a lot of work.

The airplane was sold recently to a new owner from Florida, and I understand he and his IA were here in NC working to get the plane back to Florida. The plane was flown from High Point, NC to Wadesboro, NC ,(Anson County Airport), and 50 gallons of fuel were purchased.

I was told that after takeoff, engine problems surfaced and the impossible turn resulted in a stall spin to the ground.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims of the crash...very sad indeed !

So I guess this thing hadn't had an annual in while??

my suggestion to you is to not mess with Kristin, who has probably forgotten more about aircraft operations then you ever knew. Don't assume that someone has not heard this use of "like" before. You just need to watch bad movies from the 70's and 80's and you will get your gut full. Does not mean we need to endorse it's use again.

my suggestion to you is to not mess with Kristin, who has probably forgotten more about aircraft operations then you ever knew. Don't assume that someone has not heard this use of "like" before. You just need to watch bad movies from the 70's and 80's and you will get your gut full. Does not mean we need to endorse it's use again.

10-4 good buddy! I'll file this suggestion right where it belongs........

The Geraldo Rivera of aviation reporting is on the case.

Eman, like OMG! Like you better... like watch it.... I mean like totes! I mean.. O m G! You know? Like right???!

Dude, you’re endorsing…..you’re endorsing!!!!

Reminds me of my first Taylorcraft and the guy that bought it from me flat out wouldn’t take a lick of instruction from me at a reduced rate to get him back in shape. Ground looped it at his first stop but didn’t break it, then totaled it in a ground loop a month or two later.

It’s entirely possible they knew exactly what was wrong with the plane, or their own rustiness and chose to fly it anyway. Sigh.

The next question that comes to mind is: was the airplane on a ferry permit, or is some IA in deep water for having signed off on a plane that sounds like it was clearly questionable?

the two guys were local to me here, the info I have heard is exactly what was said here. airplane hadn't flow for years and they were bringing it to florida. as to an IA being in deep water, i'm guessing hes not in deep water, but 6 feet deep he was one of the people in the plane.

Back