Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny

LATEST NEWS
Pittsburgh Business Times - 12:31 PM EST Wednesday
State releases federal funding for local airports

[font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation on Wednesday announced the release of more than $16 million in state and federal funds to help finance improvements at 31 public-use airports in the Commonwealth.

Allen Biehler, secretary of PennDOT, said the funds will be used for a variety of projects, including land acquisition, environmental and airport development planning, runway and taxiway reconstruction, maintenance and repair, security and lighting.

"Maintaining and improving our airport system is an investment in air safety and provides a boost to the economic vitality of the region and the state," PennDOT Secretary Allen Biehler. "Airports are a major economic catalyst, providing communities across the state with thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in economic benefits each year."

Local airports receiving funds include:

• Beaver County Airport, Beaver Falls, which will receive $73,125, to conduct an airport master plan.
  • Zelienople Municipal Airport, Zelienople, which is slated to get $195,000, for installation of an automated weather observation system.
  • Butler County Airport, Butler, which will receive $2,368,332, to pave and light a runway extension.
  • Connellsville Airport, Connellsville, which will receive $312,000, for environmental mitigation of a hangar.
  • Washington County Airport, Washington, which is slated to get $253,500, to conduct an airport master plan and an environmental assessment and to design runway rehabilitation.
Funding for the airport improvement grants is provided through a percentage of the state and federal tax on aviation fuels.

[/font]
...tried to find out the names of the other airports but the PA DOT Aviation Grants department is closed for the day...they are going to call me back...I think the airport where I am based (KPTW) applied for funding.

Len

Hi Len,

We're supposed to be getting some at N99 for an AWOS, taxiway extension at the 9 end, and for something else that my feeble memory can't dredge up at the moment...

Bob,

VASI?

I saw on the N99.com website that you have wi-fi coverage over a good portion of the ramp...pretty neat.

Len

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
Bob,

VASI?

I saw on the N99.com website that you have wi-fi coverage over a good portion of the ramp...pretty neat.

Len

Maybe VASI, Len, I just can't remember :mad:

The wi-fi coverage is pretty complete, but the trouble with it is that you can't get coverage inside your hangar. I guess on a nice day I'll just sit on the grass with my laptop :)

Hey Len, you know the wind shear indicator you guys have by your airport? The one with two steamy towers? I got to fly the R22 within about 1/2 mi at 1000' AGL by those suckers. They're impressive up that close!

Now that the new hangars are done at Pottstown Muni, the next step is a runway extension to over 3,000 ft. They have to cut down some trees and re-route the road. Hope they get it!

Back