PA-38-112 Tomahawk - Tips?

They are good planes. You'll get addicted to the visibility. Don't let those who have never flown them tell you that they aren't good airplanes (Traumahawks).

+1. I have a few hours in Tomahawks...they are great trainers. I wish the Cherokee design had 2 doors the same as the Tomahawk. It would make getting in and out much easier.

I flown about 30 different Tomahawks. Did 100's of spins. No problems.
That was my experience in them as well. You can't simply let go of the controls and expect the airplane to pop out of the spin like you would in just about all 100 series Cessnas. Tramahawks require you to use "normal" spin recovery inputs, but that's a good thing.

That's the only thing by buddy with one doesn't like. That T-tail shakes like a de-toxing heroin junkie when you get close to the stall.
If I remember correctly, someone developed an STC to get rid of the T-tail but it never got any traction. My advise is to not look at the tail when you're doing stalls. :D

If I remember correctly, someone developed an STC to get rid of the T-tail but it never got any traction. My advise is to not look at the tail when you're doing stalls. :D
Piper should have stuck with the original tail, honestly. The first T-tail version was nearly lost because the sheet metal they used for the rear tail cone was too thin - they thickened it and it was acceptable. The plane was NOT originally designed with a T-tail. I knew one of the production procurement guys who was responsible for purchasing all of the materials for the plane.

Flaps don't have near the effect on flight characteristics as Warrior flaps do.

Good to know. It will be interesting (from a muscle memory standpoint) to go back to using a Johnson Bar for flap actuation again instead of electric. I actually took one flight in one Cessna 150 once that did have a Johnson Bar, but I never liked it compared to the bar in the Warrior...

I was in your shoes 3000 hours ago, had about 70 hours total in 152s and 172s only, found a flying club with Tomahawks, ended up buying one of them and that was 3000 hours and 2 engines ago!

Certainly sounds familiar... Come to think of it, the Tomahawk in the club I'm in is for sale... Hmmmmm...

QUICK UPDATE:
I did get checked out in the Tomahawk and I really enjoyed the handling. It was like a C152 with a T-tail, but better visibility!

QUICK UPDATE:
I did get checked out in the Tomahawk and I really enjoyed the handling. It was like a C152 with a T-tail, but better visibility!

I always thought they were fine and pleasant for what they are. Once you realize the taxi wag is ok, it's all good.

Back