PA-32 Down in Middle Tennessee

I think it's N47831. Looks like they've owned it for a little less than a year. Looks fairly well equipped too. I've never seen it into my airport, but I know I've seen it on FlightAware as I regularly scan neighboring airports. I'll be paying particular attention to this as a PA32 owner, and one that is right around the corner from here. Ceilings were low overcast all day yesterday with intermittent rain. I believe there was an AIRMET for turbulence as well.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N47831

http://www.tsunamiair.com/2016/09/0...300-n47831-serial-number-32-7840014-pa32-300/

Low ceilings across the south today. Probably related.

Flightaware shows they descended down to around 1000 feet before climbing up again. Maybe a missed approach?

That's what I'm assuming. Looks like they made an approach to RNC and had to go missed. They had already requested a diversion to SRB, but looks like they didn't make it very far into the missed approach. I had considered flying into the very same weather yesterday to practice some IMC flying. Ultimately decided not to mess with it as I grew tired. I've wondered if they picked up ice, but it was about 70° on the ground yesterday...although it cooled into the PM hours. Looks like they departed yesterday morning for DTS as well. Surprising since the ceilings seemed even lower in the early hours...at least here at BGF. Everyone has their own personal minimums though. Very sad no matter what.

That's what I'm assuming. Looks like they made an approach to RNC and had to go missed. They had already requested a diversion to SRB, but looks like they didn't make it very far into the missed approach. I had considered flying into the very same weather yesterday to practice some IMC flying. Ultimately decided not to mess with it as I grew tired. I've wondered if they picked up ice, but it was about 70° on the ground yesterday...although it cooled into the PM hours. Looks like they departed yesterday morning for DTS as well. Surprising since the ceilings seemed even lower in the early hours...at least here at BGF. Everyone has their own personal minimums though. Very sad no matter what.
Yea. I wouldn’t have thought that icing would’ve been an issue, but it can’t be ruled out. On a second note, I’m right under 50nm from RNC, and as I recall, the ceilings lifted and was VFR around the time of this accident at my location in SE TN. Not sure how different the Wx was in middle TN, evidently lower IFR.

I took a screenshot of their weather reporting on my iPad, but don't have it at the moment. If I remember correctly though, the AWOS was reporting 300' OVC. I can't remember exactly, but I was standing on the ramp here at BGF around 5:45 pm and it seemed like it was about 800' or so. Need to take a look at the approach plate and see what the minimums are for that GPS approach.

Here's the screenshot I took of the weather being reported. Happened around 6:45 PM I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.PNG
    IMG_0138.PNG
    266.2 KB · Views: 21
Back