PA-32 Down in Jackson, MS

That one ain't gonna help the "raining death from the sky" PR problem.

Not good news, considering my recent mishap and trying to convince my wife it was a 1/1,000,000 event

My dad crashed in a Cessna 172 (and lived) when I was young. As I'm reading this and sitting at about 20 hours into my PPC, I'm wondering if the sick feeling in my gut and the slight trepidation I'm feeling is "normal" for a student pilot...

I used to never read about plane crashes, but then I started rummaging through AOPA's information on plane crashes and reading reports. I find it's really helpful to read about the plane crash and find out why it happened. Then I apply what I learned to real life.

My dad crashed in a Cessna 172 (and lived) when I was young. As I'm reading this and sitting at about 20 hours into my PPC, I'm wondering if the sick feeling in my gut and the slight trepidation I'm feeling is "normal" for a student pilot...

Don't read the news ;) or hang around aviation boards for that matter. :D

Caution is a good thing in aviation. But as Mark Twain once said: "Don't take the wrong lesson from a bad experience. A cat who jumps onto a hot stove will never do it again...but it will never jump onto a cold stove either."

This is never good PR for the aircraft industry. To top it all off of course it's devastating.

3 pilots flying in a mint condition PA-32 on their way to an aviation safety conference still won't do this story justice as to conveying the fact that sometimes as pilots we're faced with inflight emergencies that are just out of our control, especially when flying at night.

It's extremely sad how many people lose their lives in automobile accidents every day. But 1 story like this in a one years time is enough to really rock the boat in the aviation limelight and cause insurance companies to hike those rates up even higher.

I agree, i saw this story on Drudge Report and it made my stomach churn for a lot of reasons. CFI's ... in a nearly new plane ... on the way to a safety conference. Ugh. Sometimes one is given a hint of comfort because some poor pilot did something ill-advised with serious consequences. But here, nothing obvious like that for one to grasp on to unless they forgot to put fuel in the plane. I guess sometimes sh*t just happens. Ugh. :(

I live two hours away from this. I saw this last night and was like man I am a newly minted PP and it makes me think twice about flying.

Not sure if it was the impossible turn only because witnesses say they say it flying low just over the trees. To me a stall spin would drop from the sky. But who knows. Also where the aviation safety conference was, was a private air strip and need prior permission to land and they had no record of it. And they said people at the airport talked to them before the flight and they were supposedly just going up for a routine flight.

So I'm wondering if the media is using the safety conference thing to make it seem worse?

Sad for sure and scary.

Very sad - RIP. Condolences to all friends and family.

Hobobiker - if you don't get butterflies before you fly - give it up.

Night flying has its own challenges.

Everytime a pilot passes V2 there is a short-term risk before more options become available.

I don't like that period of "V2 - no options". :nono:

Regards
John

This is very sad...We'll have to wait for the results of the investigation so we can learn from this. If people tell me how dangerous flying is I tell them to think of how many safe flights take place each day. I ask them how many car accidents do they see on the road and yet they still get in cars every day.

I know the topic of safety and flying is mentioned a lot. I just decided to google "car accident 3" and used advanced searched for last 24 hrs. No one probably saw this story but it happened, 3 people were killed yesterday in a car accident....http://articles.kspr.com/2012-11-13/nixa-and-ozark_35094816

Maybe there's a database for car crashes like there is for planes...or is there not? But if someone says to me that small planes are dangerous I'll just ask them to do a google search for the last 24 hrs of road accidents.

After reading this post i have a comment, today i put deposit on a cherokee 140 with a 160 ram conversion, after first comp check reading was 1)74 2) 72 3) 75 4)71 i ask the inspector to please do a compression test with a cold engine, cylinder 2 and 4 come from 72/71 psi on hot comp test down to 20 psi on cold engine, now what really ****es me off is the bad practice from broker they did oil change right before my inspection was done ( oil was super fresh almost out of bottle) to cover magnetic metals on oil, in a 45 min flight from the broker to inspection facilities the engine grained enough metal to make me walk away, my point is as many of us pursuit the dream of flying is a bunch of crocks out there putting our life's on the line to gain a buck, if i was naif enough to take comp test on hot engine as good reading i would be flying a 2 cylinder piper from Indiana to Texas and probably have a forced landing. Flying is not dangerous, people dumping trouble planes are criminals, buyers be aware full blown inspections are a must this days!!

This is very sad...We'll have to wait for the results of the investigation so we can learn from this. If people tell me how dangerous flying is I tell them to think of how many safe flights take place each day. I ask them how many car accidents do they see on the road and yet they still get in cars every day.

One of my coworkers who is very much against any type of flying will say that he has a much better chance of surviving a bad car accident than any kind of airplane accident. He was ok with flying until a bad experience on a commercial flight.

Have you flown since?

Yep, went up in a 172 I trained in a couple weekends ago. It felt good to get back in the saddle, and I needed it big time.

Now we want our bird back. Still troubleshooting the cause. Mags and plugs have been ruled out as cause.

I'm looking at this Six crash from really different perspective.

Last edited:
Yeah, I read all the airplane accident reports I come across. I also read the case reports from lawsuits against emergency medicine clinicians (which is how I make a living). In both arenas, it just confirms that often, poor judgment and bad decision-making lead to a poor outcome. But in some cases, it's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and there is very little the folks involved could have done differently.

Back