PA-32 down in Georgia

Any plane can break if over-stressed. That's usually caused either by extreme turbulence or by disorientation leading to a spiral dive.

The thought of losing a wing in mid-flight is terrifying. If true, how does that happen? Home-built, maybe, but a Piper?

Not sure what you mean. Factory-built aircraft are not immune from the laws of physics. While aircraft are perfectly safe to fly within their design envelope, it is quite possible to apply loads on the airframe in flight that exceed the design limits.

Sad hate it when you have weather related breakups,may they rest in peace.

Let's see what the report shows. Witness statements are often not accurate.

I didn't think the weather was that bad yesterday. We'll just see when the report comes out.

I dunno about weather related break up... the plane flew through some moderate intensity echoes earlier in the flight, and my assessment of the last few radar pings is that it appears to be a normal descent, albeit at higher speeds. I question the witness accounts too - would be very hard to spot an in-flight breakup at 5000' AGL (elevation in the area is around 1200') - the plane would have to have been much closer to the ground before folks on the ground noticed. If a wing separated, my money is on that being a result of an earlier problem, not the initial cause.

The 'one mile debris field' is a given. The reason for the inflight breakup is unknown at this point. It could be one of the few most likely, weather just a possibility.

The 'one mile debris field' is a given. The reason for the inflight breakup is unknown at this point. It could be one of the few most likely, weather just a possibility.

The weather report for that area has been grim for the last three- four days, unstable, rain, etc. Very possibly this caused it. Was the pilot IFR rated? How much time ? Etc. Etc. Were they in heavy weather? Airplanes don't usually "just come apart" , including the vast majority of homebuilts.

I was in and around that weather all day yesterday. It was turbulent at altitude and down low. I don't think it will take a wing off.

Yup...

Look at the track and graph of altitude the last few minutes of the flight...... They appear to get into some really bumpy weather.......

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N782TM/history/20151002/1600Z/KASW/KCEU/tracklog

My money is on a weather related break up...:sad::sad::sad:

I was looking at this, if Va is 135ish, they weren't that far above it, but I guess depending on the severity of turbulence you wouldn't have to be. Also those are ground speeds, we don't know what indicated was.

I'm a student pilot, so I have no experience to draw on, so I wonder in your everyday flying, do you slow to well below Va when encountering turbulence? If so, how do you judge, what severity of turbulence would trigger you to slow to below Va? A couple bumps? Your head hitting the ceiling?

Thanks.

In my PA-28-180, the cruising speed I use is between 115 and 120 knots (I file at 115 as my ground speed is USUALLY that). Va is 112 knots (give or take). If I know I'm going into the clouds I'll be at less than Va for sure, probably be at around 100-105. No reason to go plowing through cumulus (in my opinion).

Back