PA-32 Down Early This Morning Lincolnton NC

ugh, weather here this morning is not ideal. Lincolnton circled below:

upload_2018-7-24_8-14-59.png

Appears to be a non-IR pilot taking off in low ceilings and low vis (IMC) and in the dark. RIP

Edit- Also appears he either just, or very recently got it back from major repairs from an accident/forced landing a year ago.

Seems to be another instance where the no-go decision should of been made hours before the flight, with a preflight weather check. Since Oshkosh(if going) is about a week long, plenty of time to adjust for better weather. I know, everything’s easier in hindsite.

Senseless. When will we learn not to fool with Mother Nature. Very sad, RIP.

Appears to be a non-IR pilot taking off in low ceilings and low vis (IMC) and in the dark. RIP
At the risk of appearing pedantic the accident was at 10.25Z and the sunrise is listed as 10.28Z at KIPJ. I suspect it was light at Lincolnton when they took off into IMC with lots of convective SIGMETs in the vicinity.

In my opinion a poor aviation decision with consequences.

Very sad for the families and friends.

At the risk of appearing pedantic the accident was at 10.25Z and the sunrise is listed as 10.28Z at KIPJ. I suspect it was light at Lincolnton when they took off into IMC with lots of convective SIGMETs in the vicinity.

In my opinion a poor aviation decision with consequences.

Very sad for the families and friends.
Out of curiosity, were the ceilings higher earlier in the morning?

I’ve seen it many times arriving in the dark at my home field with relatively clear skies only to see to get socked in right around sunrise.

Wondering if the ceiling was high enough when they arrived but didn’t notice how low it had gotten while they were loading up and staring out.

Out of curiosity, were the ceilings higher earlier in the morning?

I’ve seen it many times arriving in the dark at my home field with relatively clear skies only to see to get socked in right around sunrise.

Wondering if the ceiling was high enough when they arrived but didn’t notice how low it had gotten while they were loading up and staring out.

KIPJ has an AWOS so it is easy to have very current local weather before takeoff. The FAA report says it was IMC. That is the extent of my knowledge about this event.

KIPJ has an AWOS (119.675) or phone so it is easy to have very current local weather before takeoff. The FAA report says it was IMC. That is the extent of my knowledge about this event.

It's frustrating to read these recurring stories about pilots choosing to do things that, with very little supposition, can be ascribed to decisions which have fatal results.

The overwhelming desire to get to Oshkosh on the chosen date and time kill people year after year. What was supposed to be fun turns into chaos and death, just because someone decides it'll be OK to push the limits just this one time.

Back