PA-28RT

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
What is the difference between this and a regular PA-28R?

Thanks,

David

I dunno, probably to avoid certification costs. My NA Arrow with an IO-470 would be a sweet setup. Actually, what they needed to do was make a freggin' Dakota RG. That would be a sweet plane. Shy of a Cessna Cardinal with an IO-550. Ah, I have a dream of OWNER-EXPERIMENTAL...... :D

Is it still only 200hp? Not understanding why Piper would make these changes and keep the HP the same.

David

Probably to avoid changing the airframe. The turbo is for higher altitude, not higher sea level power.

That's the same airframe used on Archers, right? If you made it a lot more than 200 HP, you would make the engine run hotter and the speed about the same....that airframe is flow limited, not speed limited, and the drag goes through the roof at higher speeds.

The turbo allows you to still make 200 HP at some higher altitude, perhaps 10,000 feet. 200 HP at 10,000 feet is around 20% more true airspeed than a naturally aspirated engine would get. And you get (a lot of) extra service ceiling as well.

As hindsight said it is the same as the Dakota 235/236 setup so the airframe must be able to handle the extra ponies. To the best of my recollection there have been no aftermarket engines for the Arrow. As stated a 470 or 520 would be a great upgrade.

As hindsight said it is the same as the Dakota 235/236 setup so the airframe must be able to handle the extra ponies. To the best of my recollection there have been no aftermarket engines for the Arrow. As stated a 470 or 520 would be a great upgrade.

No, the Arrow and Dakota are two entirely different airframes. The Dakota is a fixed gear Comanche.

No, the Arrow and Dakota are two entirely different airframes. The Dakota is a fixed gear Comanche.

Ummmm, no. The Dakota is the PA-28-236, my Turbo Dakota is a PA-28-201T.

The Dakota's GW is 3,000 pounds and the Turbo Dokota's GW is 2,900 pounds. The engines weigh about the same so empty weights are about the same. They share wing, fuselage, and empennage.

The Cherokee, Challenger, Archer, Warrior, Dakota, and Pathfinder are all PA-28's, other than the addition of a third window in 1968 and a 5" stretch in 1973 I Believe the fuselage is the same. I could be wrong but I don't think so. I have been in all of them except the Dakota and Pathfinder. Maybe Jay can chime in!!

Ummmm, no. The Dakota is the PA-28-236, my Turbo Dakota is a PA-28-201T.

The Dakota's GW is 3,000 pounds and the Turbo Dokota's GW is 2,900 pounds. The engines weigh about the same so empty weights are about the same. They share wing, fuselage, and empennage.

I had a brain fart - I was thinking of something else.

That may be. The cowling on my Arrow is different than what is on an Archer, or a Warrior or an older 180. But the airframe (fuselage) is the same for all of those.

Fuselage does not change till you get to the PA-32 series of aircraft.

Is it still only 200hp? Not understanding why Piper would make these changes and keep the HP the same.

David
There's a theory that for marketing and other reasons, a number of manufacturers wanted to avoid the "high performance" label and kept HP at 200 even though they (like the Turbo Arrow) perform like a airplane with a much bigger engine.

What is the difference between this and a regular PA-28R?

T is for turbo and has a 6 cylinder Conti vs a 4 cylinder Lyc

Wrong 'T', Tim.

PA-28R is a low-tail arrow. PA-28RT is a T-tail Arrow (trade name "Arrow IV").

The 'T' that denotes turbocharging always follows the horsepower suffix. Thus:

PA-28R-200: Low tail, rectangular wing, no turbo ("Cherokee Arrow II")
PA-28R-201: Low tail, taper wing, no turbo ("[Cherokee] Arrow III")
PA-28R-201T: Low tail, taper wing, turbocharged ("Turbo Arrow III")
PA-28RT-201: T-tail, taper wing, no turbo ("Arrow IV")
PA-28RT-201T: T-tail, taper wing, turbocharged ("Turbo Arrow IV")

(Piper's model number format adds a '1' to the horsepower suffix to denote an airplane with tapered wings -- the engine is still rated at 200 hp. This was done long before FAA created the arbitrary >200 hp rule for high-performance endorsements, and has resulted in some confusion.)

The PA-32R series (Lance, T-tail Lance II and Saratoga) follows the same pattern.

Last edited:
The Cherokee, Challenger, Archer, Warrior, Dakota, and Pathfinder are all PA-28's, other than the addition of a third window in 1968 and a 5" stretch in 1973 I Believe the fuselage is the same. I could be wrong but I don't think so. I have been in all of them except the Dakota and Pathfinder. Maybe Jay can chime in!!
The Cherokee Challenger (180 hp) and Cherokee Charger (235 hp) names lasted only one model year, 1973. For 1974 they were renamed "Cherokee Archer" and "Cherokee Pathfinder", respectively. I heard somewhere that Chrysler Corp. had squawked about Piper's use of its muscle-car names.

The 5" stretch first appeared on the Cherokee Arrow II for 1972, then spread to the Challenger and Charger the next year. The Cherokee Warrior first appeared for the 1974 model year, and always had the stretch. The only PA-28 model in production at that time that never got the stretch was the Cherokee 140 Cruiser, which continued through the 1977 model year.

The "Cherokee" name was dropped for all PA-28s after the 1977 model year.

There are visible differences between an Archer and a Warrior. The cowling is not the same shape.

The Warrior has a rather blunt, angular cowling with large metal, top-hinged clamshell doors for excellent access to the engine. The Archer/Archer II has a more streamlined fiberglass cowl, with but a tiny oil dipstick hatch. The Warrior also has a smaller nosewheel and tire; all other fixed-gear PA-28s have the same size wheels all around.

Other than that, and slight differences on the panel, rear bench seat, Frise-hinged ailerons (1974-75 models only) and absence of hat shelf behind the baggage area, the Warrior airframe is identical to the Archer II.

Last edited:
Back