pa 28 starter replacement

Scott Dingman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott Dingman
Is there anyway to remove my pa 28 starter without removing baffling and oil cooler? Are there special tools I can buy in order to remove the 4 mounting bolts?

If you have a qualified aircraft mechanic looking over your shoulder and signing it off.. which PA28 are we talking about?

If you have a qualified aircraft mechanic looking over your shoulder and signing it off.. which PA28 are we talking about?
It's a PA 28 140. I have a new starter on the way I was hoping to be helpful and pull the old one off. My AI will be putting it on for me.

You probably won't have to remove any baffling but you will have to move the oil cooler out of the way as well as take the lower cowl off. It's pretty straightforward as well as the starter removal.

Yep, you'll need to de-cowl it. While you've got it "undressed", might as well give it a good going over FWF, and address any issues that you find.

It's a PA 28 140. I have a new starter on the way I was hoping to be helpful and pull the old one off. My AI will be putting it on for me.
ask your A&P-IA if you can replace it.
If you got it off, you should be able to put it back.

ask your A&P-IA if you can replace it.
If you got it off, you should be able to put it back.
Yup, unless he's replacing the old Lyc starter with with a Skytec or some other model that has it's electrical terminal far forward on the side of the starter instead of on or near the back. Sometimes the cable is just too short. The baffling often needs modification to fit the new starter's different shape and to clear the cable properly to avoid an eventual short. I've replaced a bunch of starters with Skytecs (and one or two Lamars, which I don't like) and it took far longer than just installing the identical OEM starter.

Yup, unless he's replacing the old Lyc starter with with a Skytec or some other model that has it's electrical terminal far forward on the side of the starter instead of on or near the back. Sometimes the cable is just too short. The baffling often needs modification to fit the new starter's different shape and to clear the cable properly to avoid an eventual short. I've replaced a bunch of starters with Skytecs (and one or two Lamars, which I don't like) and it took far longer than just installing the identical OEM starter.
Why would you think he was? he never mentioned doing the modification.

but he could do the modification when his IA's supervision.

Want to follow along.... Will be ordering a replacement SkyTek starter tomorrow.... bendix issues and the need to loose some weight on the nose of my P-28/140. I will be doing the work with my A&P watching over my shoulder, that he does with all work done on my plane. Looking at the 149-12HT starter for my O-360-A4A. did not think the baffling would be in the way..??.. N+More to learn....

Go for it.
Keep your IA informed about what you are doing, you'll need their signature on the 337 installing the STC for the starter.
Should be a no brainer. :)

Back