PA-28 friction lock

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
My friction is stuck rather tight. My friction knob does nothing but unscrew and fall off. Anybody have any insight into how the friction works..a schematic, parts break down, anything would be helpful. This is on a 68 with the throttle quadrant, it has a big knurled round knob for friction adjustment not lever.

My friction is stuck rather tight. My friction knob does nothing but unscrew and fall off. Anybody have any insight into how the friction works..a schematic, parts break down, anything would be helpful. This is on a 68 with the throttle quadrant, it has a big knurled round knob for friction adjustment not lever.

Talk to JimC over on piperforum.com( a forum I created :) ) He's up near memphis, yall should meet.

Oh, and welcome to aircraft ownership. :lol:

Figure 57B in the Piper Parts Manual, 2009 edition, pgs 3b1-3b5. Tried to extract the pages from my digital version with no success - password protected.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah Ive had a few little things already, wrestled with the wing root seal. seemed easy enough..2 hours later! hhaha

Thanks for trying Murphy!

Bart, I might take you up on that. Or I can get them from you next time you come this way. I'm easy..Ill head over there to the piper forum and query them. I've been a member there for a while now as well.

This is like the old maintenance log jokes:

PILOT: Friction lock makes throttle stick.
MECHANIC: That's what it's there for.

Could also just be the cable and not the friction lock at all.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah Ive had a few little things already, wrestled with the wing root seal. seemed easy enough..2 hours later! hhaha

Thanks for trying Murphy!

Bart, I might take you up on that. Or I can get them from you next time you come this way. I'm easy..Ill head over there to the piper forum and query them. I've been a member there for a while now as well.

Spread on some Vaseline. If that doesn't fix it at least you already have Vaseline handy when you order a new cable.

Back