PA-28 235 Cherokee

I'm a horrible plane owner, I should know these questions lol...

I dont think they are longer I believe they just sit deeper into the wing.

As an owner it's not that big of a deal, it is what it is, "Do I fit in it? yes. Does it fit in my hangar? Yes" pretty much all you need to know. As a seller though,:lol: Yep, you better put together a cheat sheet.;)

I don't know the dimensions and don't feel like looking them up now but the 235's wings are longer because of the tip tanks (which are simply a fiberglass add-on) compared to 180's. I flew my first few hours in 160's and the 235 cockpit doesn't feel much bigger,but I think it is...maybe an inch or two...nothing too noticeable I would think.

I don't know the dimensions and don't feel like looking them up now but the 235's wings are longer because of the tip tanks (which are simply a fiberglass add-on) compared to 180's. I flew my first few hours in 160's and the 235 cockpit doesn't feel much bigger,but I think it is...maybe an inch or two...nothing too noticeable I would think.

Yeah, that's what I was recalling, wasn't sure.

Are the 235s the same dimensions on the inside as a 180 of the same year?
Yes, identical cabin dimensions, seats, upholstery, trim, etc., between the 180 and 235 for any given model year. The only differences would be placement of the fuel selector, and presence of a prop knob/lever on a -235, if the airplane had the optional (!) constant-speed prop.

Edit: One other difference -- because of thicker windows, the -235 had the metal-frame storm window on the pilot's side up through the 1971 model year; while the -180 went to the frameless storm window in 1968.

Last edited:
The annual on my CS Prop 235 was $4nnn. It needed a new battery and new brake line fittings.

I have gotten annuals for $1200-$1500.

I just was reminded of the pain I got intentionally forgot: I spent over $1000 on repairs to my John Deere lawn tractor.

Do the wings end up any longer with the outboard tanks?
Cherokee 180 (1962-72) wingspan is 30 feet. Cherokee Challenger/Archer (1973-75, 180 hp, stretched cabin) wingspan is 32 feet, with a one-foot aluminum spacer inserted between the outboard end of the original wing/aileron and the fiberglass wingtip. There is no fuel tank in the wingtip.

Cherokee 235 (1963-77) wingspan is also 32 feet, but everything outboard of the original Cherokee 180 wing/aileron is a 17-gallon fiberglass tip tank. The tip tanks look the same as the original -180 tips, except for extending each wing by one foot, and by having a fuel cap on top.

By comparison, the wingspan of all the taper-wing PA-28s is 35 feet.

Other spotting features between earlier Cherokee 180s and 235s ... 235 had a slightly longer stabilator, and a small extension with a counterbalance on the top of the rudder. From 1973, they both had the longer PA-32 stabilator, and the whole line had the same rudder shape.

pa-28-180_1971.jpg

pa-28-235_1970.jpg

Last edited:
...Cherokee 235 (1963-77) wingspan is also 32 feet, but everything outboard of the original Cherokee 180 wing/aileron is a 17-gallon fiberglass tip tank. The tip tanks look the same as the original -180 tips, except for extending each wing by one foot, and by having a fuel cap on top.
pa-28-235_1970.jpg

I love those Piper PR photos.

If you look 'em up you'll see that the Piper applied the registration numbers in sequence.

Mine is N9438W and the one pictured in the Cherokee 235 PoH is N9352W.
attachment.php

Mine was painted like that one.

So mine is 86 from that one and 43 before the N9481W in your picture.

You get the distinct impression that 235s weren't selling at a rate of 50,000 a year.

Attachments

• POH excerpt N9352W.jpg
    POH excerpt N9352W.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I love those Piper PR photos.

If you look 'em up you'll see that the Piper applied the registration numbers in sequence.

Mine is N9438W and the one pictured in the Cherokee 235 PoH is N9352W.
attachment.php

So mine is 86 from that one and 43 before the N9481W in your picture.

You get the distinct impression that 235s weren't selling at a rate of 50,000 a year.

I owned N9422W for awhile. It's still based at our airport.

Someone come steal this from me.

I have people that can vouch for the condition of this plane.

My mechanic sent me the results of the compression test he ran a few days ago on the 235. Here's what he texted me.

"Compressions cold are 73 77 76 69 79 79"

In case anyone was interested.

I was helping a student friend of mine at my airport look into this plane and I spoke with the mechanic and he had nothing but good things to say about the current condition of the plane and stated nothing had been neglected. I also talked to a gentleman that has spent 20-25 hours flying it and he was also pleased with the condition of it as well. Any and every question or picture I asked for Jesse was very quick to accommodate us with.

My friend is dealing with some family medical issues but If he can get his finances worked out he will more then likely be a strong player on it but in the mean time I thought I would share my positive experience thus far

Last edited:
Listed at controller for 28,499$

Listed at controller for 28,499$

Just checked... didn't find it under
Piston Singles > Piper > Pathfinder 235, or
Piston Singles > Piper > Cherokee 235

Idea: If the weather is decent on Sunday, fly to Hicks before the breakfast/brunch/lunch crowds arrive. Park somewhere facing the restaurant and hang the for sale banners on your prop. Have some fliers to hand out with photos, specs, contact information. You might find your buyer just hanging out enjoying the sunshine and some good food.

11999a.jpg

Idea: If the weather is decent on Sunday, fly to Hicks before the breakfast/brunch/lunch crowds arrive. Park somewhere facing the restaurant and hang the for sale banners on your prop. Have some fliers to hand out with photos, specs, contact information. You might find your buyer just hanging out enjoying the sunshine and some good food.

11999a.jpg

Waiting to get annualed. But you're right. I'm gonna print some flyers off and post em up.

Yep, get the prop banners and fly around to whatever exposure events you can.

I know you are a more experienced pilot and all but I don't think flying with prop banners is a good idea at all. That could really reduce the effectiveness of the propeller or create vibration leading to bed consequences

I know you are a more experienced pilot and all but I don't think flying with prop banners is a good idea at all. That could really reduce the effectiveness of the propeller or create vibration leading to bed consequences

Nah, they go flying off into the crowd, and whoever gets hit by one has to buy the plane.

Nah, they go flying off into the crowd, and whoever gets hit by one has to buy the plane.

I'd imagine, depending on the settlement, they might get the plane... but not buy it.

So it's kind of like the bouquet toss at a wedding?

Back