PA 28-180 First Annual

Paul_Havelka

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Paul_Havelka
Well after our piper Cherokee purchase a little over a month ago we did the first annual today. I prepped the plane yesterday and pulled all the inspection panels for the IA. Only findings were the gascolator drain and the alternator belt. We needed to pull the plug in the snout of the crank for the inspection ad on the id of the crank anyway. Need to get the plug from aircraft specialties in Tulsa on Tuesday and she’ll go back together. IA also said that he would sign off and do the paperwork for the upcoming avionics install. I have a custom harness from approach fast stack coming for an Avidyne AXP 340, AMX 240, GNS 430w, and G5 HSI. The harness will also incorporate our current kx155 and ki209 as nav/com #2 and be pre wired for a second G5 for the AI position so that it would be plug and play when we add it later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention that the #4 cylinder compression was low but the plane has been sitting for a while so the a&p and I are hoping that with us running it here regularly that it will re seat the rings in that cylinder and bring up the compression closer to the others.

Congrats! Most first annuals are 5-10K.

Cost me $300 for the inspection and another 3-400 in miscellaneous parts, tools, oil, filter, etc. To say I’m stoked does not adequately describe the relief

Wow. Most IA’s charge 3 hours for the AD search the first time. Never heard of an annual inspection with no squawks according to the aircraft’s service manual costing less than $1200.

Compression test, oil change, AD research, lube everything; wow, must be a relative.

Cost me $300 for the inspection and another 3-400 in miscellaneous parts, tools, oil, filter, etc. To say I’m stoked does not adequately describe the relief

Ive had my Cherokee 180D for what 4 or 5 years now and that cost is pretty typical (owner assisted annual). Last year the annual was over $5k but I installed a trutrak...er BK auto pilot. Sounds like you got a good plane, enjoy it! Compressions will usually get better...usually. I would check it after another 15 hours and fly it hard and I bet the compression will jump up.

How is the quality of the custom harness? What info did they require, sounds like a good way to make an install go a bit quicker. Was it cost friendly?

The harness cost me just under $1500. I haven’t received it yet but have been told that their product is top notch. I’ll do a prep on it once I get it. As of now we have a kma24 with one of the portable intercoms. The harness will have both the pilot and copilot jacks prewired and soldered up and the leads for the tears will be 15’ and include the jacks but not be soldered so I can cut to length. The IA is not family but happens to be a guy that just loves what he does. He is an inspector for AA in Tulsa and does all of the inspections for my instructor and a few of his friends and students. One requirement was I wanted owner assisted so that I could better get to know my aircraft.

$300 for annual.. man i need to move

We needed to pull the plug in the snout of the crank for the inspection ad on the id of the crank anyway.

Bought it a month ago and didn’t do that during the pre-buy? That could have gotten expensive real fast.

Bought it a month ago and didn’t do that during the pre-buy? That could have gotten expensive real fast.

We bought it right enough and planned a major overhaul due to time that this plane has sat in the past. We planned for worst case scenarios and so far it’s been best case ones

Back