PA-28-180 3 Fatalities Mertzon Texas 11-26-23

Davecat

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Davecat
Family perished. Not a lot of information even over a week later.

I looked at some flightaware track from earlier in the day, flight to I 10. It didn't look good. They were based just 15 miles from here. Weather was crappy that day.

I’m confused. The news articles and the ASN link there say this happened at 11:00 on Sunday morning, but the FlightAware link in the same ASN page shows a flight that terminated in the same area as the reported crash location on Saturday evening (0030z Sunday). Are these two different flights?

Either way, the weather was much worse in that area on Saturday night than on Sunday morning.

From flightaware.com history it looks like most flights are vfr. so this pilot was not instrument rated and got caught in bad weather I assume. it's terrible.

Amazing how little information their is on the accident. My wife and I owned this airplane for 35 years and sold it to Jeremy in April. He got a ferry pilot to fly him from Fredericksburg Va to San Antonio. He had 0 time when he bought it. from April until October he worked on getting his private license. His first trip was to NM to visit his in-laws in October. He flew it very little until he flew back to NM again for thanksgiving. Can anyone tell me what the weather conditions were Sat night? I know the report says Sun am but that's when they discovered the wreck.

It was cold and rainy, surface wind out of north and overriding clouds from west. At least in Central TX, but weather was pretty similar from San Angelo to here. His last flight aware track from NM to ft Stockton looked like scud running along I 10 .

Thanks guys. Now I understand what happened. Its unfortunate that such a poor decision and not waiting for the weather to get a little better cost three people their lives and left another child an orphan. This is a picture he sent me from his first family flight in October.1702003166815.jpeg

Back