:( :( P51 fatals Fredericksburg Tx 11/17/18

I got to be involved in a photo shoot with Cowden. Great guy and I believe he had a 95 year old veteran with him on this flight. He never charged a veteran for a flight. Pecos Bill was a beautiful plane.

Geez.

I was a scant few blocks away, knew nothing.

Heard sirens.

Wow, think I heard the guy arriving at Fredericksburg as I was going into Kerrville yesterday morning (they share same CTAF).

Man, that’s terrible. :(

My heart aches for the families of those lost, particularly the elderly WWII B-17 pilot.

Viewing photos of the crash scene, I am struck by the violence of the impact, and wonder what in the world could have led to that outcome.

Sunny days aren't supposed to end that way.

:(

From the National WWII Glider Pilot Association

We sadly announce the death of Cowden Ward, owner and pilot of P-51 Mustang called "Pecos BIll". Many of us veterans first met Cowden through Scott Glover. It is a great story: Scott was on his way in his C-47 to come to our reunion. He was taking off when Scott saw Cowden in his P-51 and asked Cowden where he was going. Cowden told him he was headed to an air race. Cowden asked where Scott where he was going and Scott said, "I'm on my way to the National WWII Glider Pilots Reunion to give rides to WWII Veterans." Without hesitation Cowden said, "I'm on your tail." That began a relationship with Cowden and our veterans that has lasted from 2013 through 2018. Cowden has attended all our reunions, with "Pecos Bill" including our reunion in October. He has given hundreds of rides to our veterans. It was always about taking care of each of us. Many of those veterans have passed but they were so happy to have flown in that P-51. Many, if not all, at the age of 18 to 20 who first signed up for the USAAF wanted dreamed to fly fighters, me included. As a Troop Carrier organization it is obvious we did not get that choice. Cowden, however, gave us that gift. I remember at that first reunion, we all waited for that ride and it was no short ride so it took all day for the twelve of us to get a ride. As the day got later some of us worried that we would not get that ride, people were leaving to go to dinner. But Cowden would not let that happen and flew until each one of us had the flight of our dreams. Thank you Cowden.

Cowden died when his P-51 crashed in Fredericksburg, Texas on November 17, 2018. With him was a WWII Veteran who also died in the crash.

You will be missed, High Flight!

--Otto Lyons
National Chairman
National WWII Glider Pilot Association
Glider Pilot [15th TCS/61st TCG Market]

About three years ago I met Cowden. Scott Glover of Mid America Flight museum gave me an opportunity to take some air-to-air pics of Cowden in his P-51 and I was in heaven. I'm not sure what the NTSB will determine, but it was a tough day in Texas.

23572148455_1facec7aee_b.jpg

23204150029_a7f32ecfff_b.jpg

23546137956_83c0de1b69_b.jpg

23489645831_020f8191c9_b.jpg

23276321980_4577eba89b_b.jpg

22944991593_584958f264_b.jpg

23276332060_96422a5fd3_b.jpg

I was in town Saturday and saw all the emergency vehicals moving out...did not know a thing

That last picture of Jack's really shows what a big combat platform the P-51 really was, when one considers how small the occupants look in comparison.

A real tragedy.

Back