P-ponk vs FAT supercharger for C182?

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
These both seem like good upgrade options for C182.
From what I understand:
- Below ~8K, PPonk climbs better and has a higher cruise speed (more power, more efficient)
- Above ~8K, the FAT becomes better at climb and cruise speeds, and more efficient
- They cost approximately the same to install if Pponk requires a new prop
- You can add FAT any time, but you really need to wait for overhaul to get the Pponk
In summary, the typical flight altitude pretty much determines which option to go with.

Is this info correct? Any additional useful info, especially from the owners of these two upgrades?

I own a 182p with a PPONK and a 3 blade prop. My plane has the Sportsman wing and micro VGs. For me It’s really hard to measure exactly how much of a cruise speed increase you get from the Pponk itself because all of those modifications were done at the same time. But, at 8k, 65% power I see 145k true. The biggest difference in my experience is the climb rate. At ~1000 foot density altitude I can easily climb at 1800- 2000 feet per minute. A friend of mine has an almost identical plane as mine but with a stock O470 and he typically gets 500’ less on the climb and about 140k at similar power settings. He also has flap gap seals on his plane and I don’t. He claims the seals increase his airspeed by about 3-4 knots. I’m considering adding flap gap seals to my plane.

I own a 182p with a PPONK and a 3 blade prop. My plane has the Sportsman wing and micro VGs. For me It’s really hard to measure exactly how much of a cruise speed increase you get from the Pponk itself because all of those modifications were done at the same time. But, at 8k, 65% power I see 145k true. The biggest difference in my experience is the climb rate. At ~1000 foot density altitude I can easily climb at 1800- 2000 feet per minute. A friend of mine has an almost identical plane as mine but with a stock O470 and he typically gets 500’ less on the climb and about 140k at similar power settings. He also has flap gap seals on his plane and I don’t. He claims the seals increase his airspeed by about 3-4 knots. I’m considering adding flap gap seals to my plane.
Thank you. Yeah, Pponk sounds amazing at "lower" altitudes.

I just sold a 182 with both mods my friend that bought it loves the plane , i was partners in it we bought it 10 years ago it had the p ponk the partners wanted the FAT I did not , i wanted the turbo alley conversion I installed the FAT system and it works ok not great in my opinion , I just replaced the vortex supercharger on it , it locked up at about 800hours it was 6800 to replace it , personally I would not do it again I think a turbo charger is a much better system and works way better. We flew it to Oshkosh many times from calif I have a place in Winona Mn. We would land there and drive to Oshkosh with 3 guys and bags it would average 145 to 150 kts at 10 to 12 k i think the plane was better with just the p ponk engine

It has the big 3 blade prop and it did climb really well

We have Pponk and it has no problems getting over 12,000'+. I've had it to 14,500 without thinking much about it. I can lean it to about 9 gph and 135 KTAS at that altitude. I've flown it out of 7,000' mountain airports (Big Bear, Mammoth Lakes) while still getting 700 fpm+ climb reasonably well loaded.

No experience with the FAT system, but I read of one guy a bunch of years ago that had a field approval and put it on Pponk. Great performance, but he was constantly chasing heat issues.

Hello Jeff. I see your at Fullerton I was there for 20 years 70 s 80 s nice airport I am in hemet a lot in the winter Minnesota in the summer , yes the p ponk works great ours was N 3381F and your friend was right they do have a heat problem you have to fly with the cowl flaps open most of the time I think they call them 270 or 275 HP do you have any fuel flow issues ours didn’t get enough fuel on take off and we re jetted the carb twice ? Anyway I stop at the cafe once in awhile at the airport, do you have a hanger there

My 180 with a PPonk will still climb 500fpm at 14,000. I used to take it into a 1700' hayfield at 8000' in the heat of the afternoon with a full load. A well built 520 will do just fine without forced induction. Supercharger is significant extra weight, extra heat, and lots of extra parts to break.

Back