P.J. O'Rourke on a carrier: "pilot is well trained because his head doesn't explode."

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Landing on an aircraft carrier is...

...machinery doesn't get any bigger, or more moving, than a U.S.-flagged nuclear-powered aircraft carrier that's longer than the Empire State Building is tall and possesses four acres of flight deck. This four acres, if it were a nation, would have the fifth or sixth largest airforce in the world--86 fixed wing aircraft plus helicopters.

The pilot has his eye on the "meatball," a device, portside midship, with a glowing dot that does--or doesn't--line up between two lighted dashes. This indicates that the pilot is . . . no, isn't . . . yes, is . . . isn't . . . is . . . on course to land. Meanwhile there are sailors in charge of the landing hunched at a control panel portside aft. They are on the radio telling the pilot what he's doing or better had do or hadn't better. They are also waving colored paddles at him meaning this or that. (I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about here.) Plus there are other pilots on the radio along with an officer in the control tower. The pilot is very well trained because at this point his head doesn't explode.

The cable then does not jerk the F-18 back to the stern the way it would in a cartoon. Although watching these events is so unreal that you expect cartoon logic to apply.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/006dgrlw.asp?pg=1

I was enjoying the writing before I realized it was P.J. O'Rourke. I love dat guy.

Last edited:
Re: P.J. O'Rourke on a carrier: "pilot is well trained because his head doesn't explo

they are also waving colored paddles at him that mean this or that...

heheheh...

Back