P.A.S.T. Myth? Fact? Both?

Tiger, thank you for so vividly illustrating the critical problem with the way that we (GA) teach the concept of critical engine.

You can't just dismiss PAST as a moot point because that is essentially saying that understanding the aerodynamics of single engine flight in a light twin is a moot point and then we are back to just making sure the other engine keeps running.
Misinformation leads to misunderstanding. The ways that accelerated and spiraling slipstream are being presented are oversimplified and/or inaccurate. On a twin with wing-mounted engines and a fuselage-mounted vertical stabilizer, the propeller slipstream doesn't exert significant influence on the vertical stabilizer in flight. Local flow behavior over the wing sections behind the propeller and near the nacelle can be very complex and the downgoing/upgoing blade theory is too simplistic to predict the actual lift distribution on a real airplane operating in a given flight condition. For example, none of the PAST explanations I've read mention the variations in section AOA that are induced by the propeller slipstream, and that those AOA variations tend to mitigate lift asymmetry. A basic, accurate understanding of aerodynamics is not moot, Tiger, but how does the propagation of misinformation help us to be safer, better pilots?

I think if you take a step back and look at the big picture, you might accept that the whole point of PAST is to demonstrate to a new ME student that you have a lot of factors working against you when you lose the critical engine and that makes the plane more difficult to control. I consider the instruction of PAST a situational awareness item more then anything. If that pilot in the video had it drilled into his head that he was in a much more precarious position because his left engine was out instead of his right, maybe he would of been more diligent and not been so fixated on gaining altitude like Denver noted above.
These remarks show how the concept of critical engine is misunderstood. Those who designed our multi-engine airplane did so under the assumption that any powerplant failure would occur in a worst-case-scenario set of conditions, which include the failure of the engine that would most adversely affect the performance OR handling qualities of the airplane (definition of critical engine). Thus the vertical stabilizer and rudder were designed and sized so as to provide sufficient control authority in the worst-case set of conditions envisioned by the certification standards. During the flight test program, a minimum control speed, Vmc, is established for the assumed worst-case condition (critical engine failed). From that point forward--and this, my friends, is the BIG PICTURE as I see it--the matter of which engine is the critical engine is merely academic: so long as a pilot maintains an indicated airspeed at or above Vmc, sufficient control authority exists to safely maneuver the aircraft regardless of which engine is failed. The failure of the critical engine is no more dangerous, from the standpoint of controllability, than the failure of any other engine. Empirical evidence supports this assertion: having experienced four in-flight engine malfunctions that resulted in failures or precautionary shutdowns and one propeller system failure, along with countless simulated engine failures in training, I have never found the failure of one engine to be significantly, or even noticeably, more difficult to manage than another (on twin-engine airplanes, that is. Three and four-engine airplanes are, of course, a whole nuther story).

To a pilot in flight, a failure of a critical engine is not really any more critical than a failure of any other engine and the actions taken to maintain control and assure a safe condition of flight are the same in any case.

Thus my position is that critical engine is a concept best understood and taught as a certification matter, not as an operational concern for pilots, and certainly not overexplained with dubious theories that tend to confuse more than enlighten.

Lastly, let's add one more memorable engine failure to my personal anecdote; that one having occurred in a single-engine airplane, resulting in an off-airport landing. THAT, to me at least, was all the proof needed that when we only have one engine operating, a failure of that one engine is, indeed, critical. {ref. post #27}

-bob

Last edited:
Recent chance encounters with YT videos regarding critical engine (multi-engine training) introduced me to the acronym PAST (P-factor, Accelerated slipstream, Spiraling slipstream, and Torque). The use of PAST to explain certain factors related to the concept of critical engine seems to have become ubiquitous, but some of the explanations given in videos and other online presentations appear to be rather dubious. Since PAST wasn't used during my ME training (and later, instructing), I wonder where PAST originated. Perhaps someone on this board can direct me to the source.

It seems that no one here knows the origin of PAST. Here’s a guess:

Some enterprising individual, probably a CFI of some stripe, noticed that there were no ME training books on the market and decided to fill that gap and put a few extra dollars in the bank. But there really isn’t enough academic material involved in the ME rating to flesh out an entire book on the subject, and it’s hard to distinguish, in a marketable way, a skinny pamphlet that offers nothing more than what’s found in a single chapter of the FAA’s venerable AFH (available absolutely free online). So when the author completely ran out of things to discuss after just ten or so pages, he/she just started making stuff up. Subsequently, certain training organizations that sell their students books and supplies at a tidy markup, decided to implement the ME book and pocket a little more cash from the sales. And now, a couple of decades later, odd notions about accelerated and spiraling slipstream and their presumed effects on airplane controllability have become commonplace. Just a guess.

Well, I didn’t find the answers that I was looking for on PoA, but I thank those who took the time to reply.

-bob

Check the FAA Accident Prevention publication "FLYING LIGHT TWINS SAFELY " (FAA-P-8740-66). Diagram on page 2. Here's the link -
https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gsl...A P-8740-66 Flying Twins[hi-res] branded.pdf

The link didn’t work for me but searching for the doc brought up a 2008 version that says graphics and content have been modified from the original version. And no PAST. From a directory in the FAA server labeled 2015.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2015/Nov/FAA_P-8740-66.pdf

Check the FAA Accident Prevention publication "FLYING LIGHT TWINS SAFELY " (FAA-P-8740-66). Diagram on page 2. Here's the link -
https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2011/Aug/56412/FAA P-8740-66 Flying Twins[hi-res] branded.pdf
A breakthrough! Thanks. Flying Light Twins Safely seems to have been substantially revised since my old '70s paper copy was printed. Since this publication features a lot of material reprinted from other sources, I think that the clues lie in the bibliography.

Back