P-59 Secret Project

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
========================================================
This is America's first Jet airplane - the P-59 first flown in Oct. 1942. Volunteers have spent the last 10 years restoring this airplane, and they put the wings back on last weekend just in time to be on static display at an air show this weekend.

In 1942, this was a Top Secret project located at Edwards AFB. When the dry lake flooded, they had to transport it by road, so it was disguised with a dummy wooden propeller on the front and covered with a shroud. There is also a story behind the hats.

On one test flight it was spotted by pilot's getting checked out in P-38's operating from Van Nuys Airport. When the P-38 pilots reported seeing an airplane with no propeller, their account met with skepticism but the story kept circulating, so on a subsequent flight the test pilot of the P-59 dressed up in a gorilla mask, put on a derby hat and a smoked a cigar. He then made a point to fly next to the P-38 pilots and waved at them. When the P-38 pilots got back to the base, they told everyone about the plane with no propeller flown by a gorilla wearing a derby and smoking a cigar. The result of their report was total disbelief, so the airplane remained a secret until after the war.
======================================================

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 51
Right in my backyard (Camp Edwards (Otis))

What a great project!

Cool project.
BTW: There's 5 of the remaining ME 262s ( at least one has finally been flown) that the P 59 could have ultimately seen action against the Krauts at PAE and a video of an ME 262 flying this year at Stormbirds
They originally had leather fuel cells!

Last edited:
Great costume for the Lab technician- looks so real! Great post- Thanks Greg.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Cool project.
BTW: There's 5 of the remaining ME 262s ( at least one has finally been flown) that the P 59 could have ultimately seen action against the Krauts at PAE and a video of an ME 262 flying this year at Stormbirds
They originally had leather fuel cells!

Those are newly manufactured ME-262s. One has been shipped to Germany and flown there recently.

Ghery said:
Those are newly manufactured ME-262s. One has been shipped to Germany and flown there recently.

I thought they were just using new jet engines in the original ships.

Bob there must have been 2 Camp Edwards at one time -- This is an excerpt from the Otis ANG webpage

"In 1938, the landing field area at Camp Edwards was named Otis Field in memory of the Boston flying physician. Ten years later the base was renamed Otis Air Force Base in his honor. Until 1973, it was the largest Aerospace Defense Command base in the world and is the only base named for a doctor"

Interesting none the less.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I thought they were just using new jet engines in the original ships.

New airframes. Serial numbers assigned by Messerschmidt in sequence from the last ones built in 1945. They are building 5 and no more.

IMHO the Me 262 Schwalbe is one of the prettiest aircraft ever built. Considering it's contemporaries like the P-59 and the Gloster Meteor it looks wickedly modern and effective. It'll be nice seeing those birds in the air.

Back