P-51 pirep (forthcoming)

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
Ken sucks for getting time in an Eclipse, but I just got my first eight tenths in a P-51. (Dual, that is)

I did it yesterday, and I'm still trying to get my mind around the experience. Here are some highlights, stream of consciousness style:

It's not as loud as I expected - standard ANR headsets are fine.
It's smoother than I expected (Thanks, RBR).
1500 hp makes even a heavy airplane climb pretty well (Thanks, RBR).
Control rates and pressures are much closer to a C140 than a C182.
Diana and Chip, I need your help - I start to black out sooner than I ever expected.
I was amazed by the feel - you can put it exactly where you want it (except in my hangar, I guess).
I can keep it in close formation on a good soaring day.
I can do a roll.
I can do a half cuban 8.
I can bring it in over the numbers.
Time is accelerated by a factor of 10 when you're at the controls - 45 minutes goes by in a flash.
It's like cheap crack - one hit, and now I can't stop thinking about how to get more.

When I was 12, I saw a P-51 (the CAF Gunfighter II) for the first time and sat in the cockpit later that day. It sparked a lifelong passion. I had no idea that less than 20 years later I'd be flying in formation off the right wing of that same aircraft. This was definitely a check off the bucket list.

M

As Chip would say:

Dear Matt,

You suck.

Sincerely,

Chris

:D

Seriously though -- Congrats on getting some stick time. That's a log book entry that not many people have the joy of achieving. Doug R. came through the Boone RV Fly-In and I heard him say "Oh, we're on our way to Council Bluffs to get the Mustang..." How friggin cool is it to be able to say?! "Oh we were on our way to get the MUSTANG and stopped in for a bit."

...someday.... ;)

You should've come to Spencer last Sunday and cheered Doug on - he did his first airshow in the Gunfighter. I was flattered as heck when he said hello to me on 123.0 when I announced my position over Boone (Spencer is on 123.0 as well).

He was giving rides all afternoon.

cant wait to hear more gory details, awesome Matt!

I don't get pilot envy, so I will instead say congrats, Matt! I hope to one day have a similar logbook entry!

So far the only 12-cylinder airplanes I've flown or been in require two engines to have 12 cylinders. I really want to fly in something with an R-2800, though...

Wow it must suck to be you , Matt :)

If you don't mind me asking, what does a P-51 ride go for these days?

Ken sucks for getting time in an Eclipse, but I just got my first eight tenths in a P-51. (Dual, that is)
Here's a photo I shot at Sun n Fun a few years ago. This flight included a 4-ship formation with Glacier Girl and a B-25. In the back of the other P-51 is Lyn Freeman. It was a media bonanza!!

Attachments

• Mustang desktop.JPG
    Mustang desktop.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 24
Matt - awesome!

Ken - photo title said "mustang desktop" so that's where it went - thanks!

Back